Rear Suspension Noise?

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
It sounds like something is clunking in the rear when I turn my car. I first noticed it this past weekend at the New England Dragway. When I'd turn off the track I heard something clunking/banging from the rear. Does anyone know what this may be? I for drivetrain mods I have a d&d t56, an alum. d/s, and 3.73 gears.

I should mention that earlier last year I had a bad rear end leak when a tire shop jacked my car from the diff. They bent the diff cover and it sprang a slow leak. I never got around to buying a new cover b/c of time constraints. I just pulled the thing off, bent it back to stock like specs with some pliers and then reinstalled it with lots of gasket goop and a new gasket. I know for sure that it hasnt leaked.

Any Ideas?
-Fawcett

• Sponsors (?)

the suspension is all stock -nothing done to it at all. i do have cobra r's measuring 10.5in wide w/ 275 tires out back. but i have heard many people running tires wider than mine so i dont believe that they would be the problem. does anyone know what it sounds like when a rear diff. is going bad? when i do burn outs i do get both tires to spin/smoke so the diff. clutch(s) should still be fine right? i have noticed that my tires rub my exhaust but only a little bit.

would bad bushings do this -they are stock.
-fawcett
1995 Gts, frpp 340bhp 302, d&d viper spec t56, brembos, full mallory ignition, blah blah blah

Without hearing the sound my best guess would be either the rear end internals, or you control arms, are moving, just because both tires spin doesnt mean that the clutches are not binding or something is broke inside, if the clutches cant disengage when you turn it could be making the noise, something to check out.