Rear tires worn out too early on 2011 GT

I just took my 2011 Mustang GT into my local Ford dealership to have a standard oil change. Long story short, my rear tires are worn down to 3/32'' and my front tires are 4/32''. The car is only a year-and-a-half old, and has 23,000 miles on it. This seems way too early for the tires to be worn down that much. I don't do launches, burnouts or drive excessively fast. Any have any information or insight on if the tires were defective, and if so the dealership help me buy new ones?

Thank you!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds about right. My all-season pirellis on my 2010 lasted about 20K miles. The summer only Pirellis on my 2011 only lasted 17K miles. I replaced them with the new Bridgestone Potenzas that come with a 40K mile treadwear warranty. They'd better last longer & I'm not even hard on my tires.

Those Japanese Potenzas you put on won't have the summer traction that the Pirelli's have. When you elect to go with a hi mileage tire you end up with a compromise, and that compromise is less traction. Now I don't know if you like to take your car out to the track, but if you do you would notice a big difference if you run it near the limit. Ford put a good tire of the GT's, the Boss, and the GT500 so you could take full advantage of what your car is capable of. Now if you don't push the limits, and you put a lot of miles on your car then you are ok with a high mileage tire. Though, I wish you would have bought an American tire.

Reactions: 1 user
I knew I would lose some cornering ability with the Potenzas, but I felt it was a compromise I could live with. I moslty only go to my local 1/4-mile strip once or twice a year as my family duties(3-kids) & work keep me extremely busy. The Pirellis are great tires, but considering that I drive it daily(18K miles a year) and that the summer only Pirelli's are outrageously expensvie, I had to go with a tire that would last longer. The Potenzas do seem to have better straight line traction, but I can tell the difference when I take corners aggresively that the Pirelli's were better for the curves. Is there an American tire that comes with a 40K+ treadwear warranty? The Potenza & the Michelin Pilot A/S Sport were the only ones that I can recall finding in my research that offered all-season capability and long lasting treadwear.

They are Pirellis 19'' All Season M+S ZR rated. I know the ZR's will wear faster, still seems a bit too quick since I drive fairly conservatively. I called Pirellis and there is no tread warranty on them, but they would maybe consider a "goodwill adjustment" if Ford did an official tire inspection and turned it into them. After reading what everyone has to say seems that this wear is normal. I'll probably just take them down to 2/32'' and buy some high millage (40k) tread tires next. Any recommendations? Appreciate it everyone!

I recently bought these for my car. They come with a 40K mile treadwear warranty. They are the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position tires. They are worth checking out. Here's a link:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...yr=2011&pc=36292&cf=false&vid=019612&sw=false

Also, some type of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tire came with a 50K mile warranty, but cost more at the time I purchased mine. The Michelin's are an older tire while the Potenza is brand new.

We get it, you like American tires. I don't disagree with you, but you don't have to bring it up three times whenever a tire thread comes up. Until the new G:2 Goodyears came out, they didn't have a tire to compete with the top tires on the market. My girlfriend had Goodyear Wranglers on her Jeep and they were terrible tires, terrible wet and dry grip and they didn't last. They were replaced with Coopers, which have been getting noisy as they wear out. If it makes you feel better, we put Cooper tires on all our work trucks, which are Fords. As for the Pirelli PZero, 17k miles is about all you can expect. As you increase dry grip, you give up tread life. That is why the Hoosier A6 is a great autocross tire, but lasts 500 miles if you are lucky while the 600 treadwear rating Bridgestone is not going to win you too many autocross trophies.

I got about 32K out of the 18" Pirelli P Zero Neros that my 2010 Premium GT came with. I was happy with them overall, for a little tire. The fronts should have had a little life left, but the inner shoulder was down to slick due to an alignment issue that has since been fixed. The rears were worn smooth across to the wear bars. I don't race, but I drive hard, especially in the corners. I don't do burnouts, but I've chirped it plenty of times, and anyone from New England knows you're going to get tire slip every day with the roads we have. Now I'm running 255-45-18 front and 285-40-18 rear Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires. I know I won't see stock tire mileage, but it's ok, because come Nov. the factory wheels are going back on with new winter tires, and right now the handling is already improved, and we're only getting into the 50*-60* temp range around here. The few warm days we've had, the car has literally been on rails.

Astronut1885, have you run the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires at the track yet? That is a tire I want to check out when my Perilli P-Zeros wear out. I love the P-Zeros - incredible wet and dry traction. I had the Eagle F1 tires on another car I tracked several years ago and liked them a lot but Goodyear discontinued them.