Roush Rebuilding '01-S/C: Any Suggestions for Pistons, Rods, Crank, etc.?

I have decided to rebuild the motor on my '01 S/C and was hoping to get some ideas as to what brands/configurations I should consider. Here's what I thinking:

1. Cobra Crank or similar - Any Suggestions?
2. Forged Pistons - Any Suggestions?
3. Forged Rods - Any Suggestions?

Eventually(this summer), I plan on installing a different blower or maybe even a HP turbo system and I want to be sure that my motor can handle the power. If I change blowers, my goal is to be somewhere in the 500rwhp range and if I go turbo, my goal is to be around the 700 rwhp range.

So, if anyone has any additional information that would help me to reach my goals, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

wsbrigham said:
I have decided to rebuild the motor on my '01 S/C and was hoping to get some ideas as to what brands/configurations I should consider. Here's what I thinking:

1. Cobra Crank or similar - Any Suggestions?
2. Forged Pistons - Any Suggestions?
3. Forged Rods - Any Suggestions?

Eventually(this summer), I plan on installing a different blower or maybe even a HP turbo system and I want to be sure that my motor can handle the power. If I change blowers, my goal is to be somewhere in the 500rwhp range and if I go turbo, my goal is to be around the 700 rwhp range.

So, if anyone has any additional information that would help me to reach my goals, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!
I have thought about this for quite awhile and decided to go with VT engines.It takes 2-4 mos to get a shortblock but from my research they do top notch work.You could also consider Modular Powerhouse but I didn't have any luck with them returning emails.Cobra crank or a VT forged crank will work.As far as piston/rod combo goes it seems that CP pistons and Manley rods are the way to go.

As everyone has said the Cobra crank is perfect for your application. I would recommend using quality H-beam rod like Scat, etc. As for the pistons, there are a good number of companies making quality 4.6 pistons. I do know that JE asks for allot of piston to side wall clearance, which usaully results in some "piston slap" when the engine is cold. We use and have had great success with Probe's pistons. Make sure you select the right cc piston to keep your compression down for the boost levels you are planning to run. If you are using your existing block, make sure you have a shop that is familiar with the mod blocks. Machining the thin wall block can be tricky not to distort the bores. We take 2 days to do this. In a certain sequence, half the cylinders one day, let the block sit and the other half the next day. Bottom line, as long as you have quality components and it is balanced, machined and assembled properly you should have a happy high boost,high HP engine. Good luck with your plans.

haneymotorsport said:
As everyone has said the Cobra crank is perfect for your application. I would recommend using quality H-beam rod like Scat, etc. As for the pistons, there are a good number of companies making quality 4.6 pistons. I do know that JE asks for allot of piston to side wall clearance, which usaully results in some "piston slap" when the engine is cold. We use and have had great success with Probe's pistons. Make sure you select the right cc piston to keep your compression down for the boost levels you are planning to run. If you are using your existing block, make sure you have a shop that is familiar with the mod blocks. Machining the thin wall block can be tricky not to distort the bores. We take 2 days to do this. In a certain sequence, half the cylinders one day, let the block sit and the other half the next day. Bottom line, as long as you have quality components and it is balanced, machined and assembled properly you should have a happy high boost,high HP engine. Good luck with your plans.

Thanks for all of the information!!

How much might I expect to spend on the parts alone?

Again, thanks a bunch!