Rebuilding my 1994 GT 'Vert

zZsKyZz

Dec 1, 2005
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I still own my 1994 Mustang GT Convertible. It has 4.10's, a foxbody T-5, king cobra clutch, and the original 302 with 192k on the speedo (Could be wrong due to years of driving with the 4.10's and incorrect speedo gear). I have owned the car for ages and it has mostly sat due to me tearing it down for a Boost Brothers turbo kit, then life events happened, had a child, moved to another state, got the car towed down, owning a boosted S550, and other such things.

It is now time to rebuild the car and enjoy driving it again. Before pulling the engine apart, I did a compression test and all of the cylinders are within 10 of each other. I currently have the engine down to the short block and engine bay torn apart. I'm considering putting new gaskets on, a small cam, some 1.7 rockers, new valve springs, 47# injectors, a 255 pump, the single Boost Brothers turbo kit, and a Moates Quarterhorse. I'm attempting to get it back on the road and enjoy it again. I do have a 351w stroker (408w) on an engine stand, but it needs to be converted over to hydro before putting it in and I'd like to just drive the car again.

Is it worth piecing the 302 back together and throwing 8-10psi at it to achieve 400rwhp to enjoy cruising in or should I wait? Are there better options? I haven't explored the pushrod 302 scene in years and am wondering if other things have developed.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Do you actually have the Boost Brothers kit? They went out of business almost a decade ago. I've been running their kit since 2009. Worth every second of installation hassle and expense. The pushrod 5.0 does extremely well with some boost. Even though it won't spin as fast as a Coyote (i.e. lower horsepower), it'll out-torque a brand new GT all day long. 400hp is easy, you'll hit that at 7 or 8 lbs. Probably 500ftlb of torque to go with it. Skip the cam though, stock cam works great with a turbo.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
Do you actually have the Boost Brothers kit? They went out of business almost a decade ago. I've been running their kit since 2009. Worth every second of installation hassle and expense. The pushrod 5.0 does extremely well with some boost. Even though it won't spin as fast as a Coyote (i.e. lower horsepower), it'll out-torque a brand new GT all day long. 400hp is easy, you'll hit that at 7 or 8 lbs. Probably 500ftlb of torque to go with it. Skip the cam though, stock cam works great with a turbo.

Yeah, it's the Boost Brothers kit. I bought it new when they were still around and it has sat on the shelf since.

My Coyote makes around 700rwhp. I'm not looking for those numbers, but would like to see around the 400-450 range.

Cool, you'll easily see that range, and as I mention, a ton of torque. A 2020 makes anywhere from 420 to (GT500) 625ftlb. My '95 running 11.5psi boost spits out about 500hp and 600ftlb of torque (I don't run it at that level for too long, usually at 8-10psi), so you'll see your 94 keep up with your Coyote through the 1/8th mile believe it or not.

The BB kit has been pretty awesome. My wastegate eventually went weak, I upgraded that, but the rest is still out of the box. The headers have held up very well. The Korean turbo too. There were quite a few gotchas - sway-bar location, cutting into sheet metal - radiator core support and a few other places, relocating the ABS unit, and some pieces of the kit mis-fitted (oil line fittings). So let me know if you need any tips along the way, it definitely wasn't 'bolt on.' I also have a good tune for the QuarterHorse (Pro-M MAF, 42lb injectors) you'd be welcomed to as a starting point. Good luck.

Cool, you'll easily see that range, and as I mention, a ton of torque. A 2020 makes anywhere from 420 to (GT500) 625ftlb. My '95 running 11.5psi boost spits out about 500hp and 600ftlb of torque (I don't run it at that level for too long, usually at 8-10psi), so you'll see your 94 keep up with your Coyote through the 1/8th mile believe it or not.

The BB kit has been pretty awesome. My wastegate eventually went weak, I upgraded that, but the rest is still out of the box. The headers have held up very well. The Korean turbo too. There were quite a few gotchas - sway-bar location, cutting into sheet metal - radiator core support and a few other places, relocating the ABS unit, and some pieces of the kit mis-fitted (oil line fittings). So let me know if you need any tips along the way, it definitely wasn't 'bolt on.' I also have a good tune for the QuarterHorse (Pro-M MAF, 42lb injectors) you'd be welcomed to as a starting point. Good luck.

I appreciate it. I'll be pulling the 302 out soon and doing some welding in the engine bay to get rid of rust on the strut tower I found. Once done, I'll be repainting the engine bay and freshening up the 302.

I have 47lb injectors and a lightning MAF that I plan on using with a QuarterHorse, so I really appreciate the offer on that tune. Thanks!!!

Do u know we're I can get a fully assembled top frame and everything together so I can just unbolt old one and put new one on and we're r the adjustment screws cause my top is a inch of from lacthing and I read u can adjust them can u send diagram or something please