• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Rebuilding my 4R70W...Any advice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mtmc
  • Start date Start date Jun 8, 2011

mtmc

New Member
May 11, 2011
38
0
0
VA
Jun 8, 2011
#1
  • Jun 8, 2011
  • #1
Ok guys my '96 Mustang has a slippy 4R70W that needs to be rebuilt. I got another good 4R70W from a guy for free but it's from a '93 Mark VIII and I haven't received confirmation yet that it will even work in my car. I have decided to take out my tranny that I know is compatible and rebuild it with a master overhaul kit and install some other things while I have it out. I am mechanically inclined and have been working on cars most of my life but I've never been into an automatic transmission. I thought I saw a 4R70W rebuilding manual online the other day but now I can't find it. I have a haynes repair manual but I haven't thumbed through it yet and I doubt it has anything about rebuilding the tranny anyway.

Any advice with this project?
 

nyuk98gt

15 Year Member
Oct 10, 2000
1,427
6
79
Chesterfield, MO
Jun 9, 2011
#2
  • Jun 9, 2011
  • #2
mtmc:

Go to TCCoA.com and head to their Tech Articles/Transmissions. Read "Transmissions 101" by Jerry Wroblewski, former Ford Transmission Engineer. This set of excellent articles will tell you most of what you need to know.

Get the Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG) book about the 4R70W. It will show you how to take it apart and put it togother.

The '93 is NOT a 4R70W so I would not recommend going to an older model transmission.

If you want it done professionally, please check out BC Automotive (bc-automotive.com) for rebuilding services. Darrin does top-notch work and for a very reasonable price.

The mob at TCCoA.com have a Drivetrain sub-forum that has quite a few good rebuild threads that you may want to review before tackling the job.

HTH,

Chris
 

mtmc

New Member
May 11, 2011
38
0
0
VA
Jun 9, 2011
#3
  • Jun 9, 2011
  • #3
Hey thanks man
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Suggestions on an engine rebuild. Stock cam/GT40Ps or aftermarket on both for a fun weekend driver?
  • MadSquirrelTech
  • Apr 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 7, 2026
MadSquirrelTech
Mustang II 4 cyl gear hunting and possibly messed up vacuum system
  • oesterreicher
  • May 31, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
11
Views
447
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Jun 14, 2026
manicmechanic007
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
340
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
L
Interior and Upholstery Instrument Cluster 1983 Mustang
  • loganatorspace
  • Jun 14, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
219
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 19, 2025
Rcdgl
R
5
Hello Everyone !
  • 5150K
  • Jul 3, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
133
The Welcome Wagon Jul 3, 2026
5150K
5
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?