Rebuilt my motor, now the car won't start!

white94

Apr 13, 2003
nashville tn
Hey guys, I just finished the rebuild on my sisters 94 gt. Pretty simple setup, standard bore, just had it honed, cam bearings installed and had the block decked. Speed pro pistons, rings, stock crank was polished and rods checked out ok. I put it all together my self. The car turns over good, but doesn't even attempt to hit. It is getting fuel, spark I'm not so sure about. I figured that I just had it timed wrong, but I have pulled the distributor out and moved it to every tooth possible, nothing. Twice so far it has popped out of the exhaust a little like it might hit, but that is basically it. I have checked all of my connections, everything is in order. This is the 3rd motor I have pulled out of a car and put back in, so I feel like everything is right, but it is the first short block that I have assembled. I put new lifters in the car also, I primed the oil pump for quite a while so that I could pump up the lifters. When I adjusted the valves, which are also stock, I noticed that the lifters were still a little mushy, so I primed so more, when it was all said and done, they weren't completely pumped up, but close. Could this have anything to do with it? Any help would be appreciated. Everything was in working order when I pulled the motor, it just had some problems with the block that needed attention, so I can't figure out what it could be. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

white94 said:
Ok, I am for sure getting spark, but it doesn't appear to be a whole lot. Spark seems sort of weak. I have tried everything with that distributor, but it still won't fire. Need Help!!
If the spark is too weak, the car won't fire. What kind of shape is the ignition system in? You may want to upgrade that.

Also, you said you've pulled the dizzy out a few times to make sure you have it timed properly. Are you sure it's not 180* out?

Just a few thoughts...

Joe