Recall 08C02--434,593 vehicles affected

Art161

Sep 26, 2006
San Francisco
This potentially affects all Mustangs built from April 22, 2005, through January 31, 2008. This includes some 2005 model year vehicles, all 2006 and 2007 model year vehicles, and some 2008 model year vehicles.

If your car is affected, you are advised to have all occupants wear their safety belts and move the passenger seat rearward away from the passenger airbag until you bring the vehicle to Ford for a possible software update.

My car surely isn't going back to the dealer unless this is a major problem. Too much returning it back to stock.

I don't understand why you guys mod your cars, then return them to stock when you go to the dealer for service?

Unless you break something, and they can prove it was because of your mods, what do you have to worry about?

This is a recall...not a modded airbag delete with gauges and nitrous thing.

But then again...

My car is bone stock...so maybe I should just keep quiet.

Subject: Ford Motor Company (Ford) recall No. 08C02 - Certain 2005-2008 Model Year Ford Mustangs

Summary

• Ford Action - Ford is conducting a voluntary compliance-related recall involving 2005-2008 model
year Mustangs to update the software in the restraint control module (RCM) to address a potential
non-compliance with one specific FMVSS 208 requirement that relates to an unbelted 5th percentile
female anthropomorphic test device, with the front passenger seat positioned full forward. The
action that Ford is undertaking does not affect the vehicle's five star frontal crash ratings achieved as
part of NHTSA's new car assessment program.

• Number of Vehicles Involved - Approximately 434,593 vehicles in the United States and federalized
territories.

• Description of Non-Compliance - A 2007 Ford Mustang V-6 coupe was tested by NHTSA's Office of
Vehicle Safety Compliance to the requirements of S16.1(cool.gif of FMVSS 208. One requirement of
S15.3.6(a)(5) was exceeded for the unbelted, front passenger 5th percentile female anthropomorphic
test device seated in the full forward position.

• Service Program - Ford will notify dealers to stop demonstrating or delivering the affected vehicles
until they are updated with new software for the restraint control module. Ford will notify owners and
instruct them to take their vehicles to a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer for the software update. Ford
will also instruct owners to have all occupants wear their safety belts and move the passenger seat
rearward away from the passenger airbag thus eliminating any real world safety risk associated with
this noncompliance.

Attached is the detailed information required by the applicable portions of 49 CFR Part 573 - Defect
and Non-Compliance Information Report.

49 CFR Part 573 - NON-COMPLIANCE INFORMATION REPORT
08C02 - 2005-2008 Ford Mustangs

Pursuant to Part 573 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Defect and Non-compliance
Reports, Ford Motor Company (Ford) submits the following information concerning a potential noncompliance
to one of the requirements of S15.3.6(a)(5) of FMVSS 208 for 2005-2008 model year
Ford Mustangs when a test is conducted pursuant to the requirements of S16.1(cool.gif of FMVSS 208.

573.6 © (2) - Potentially Affected Vehicles

All Ford Mustangs vehicles built from April 22, 2005, through January 31, 2008, at the Auto Alliance
Plant are potentially affected. This includes part of the 2005 model year, all of the 2006 and 2007
model years, and part of the 2008 model year.

Because these vehicles are not produced in VIN order, information as to the applicability of this
action to specific vehicles can best be obtained by either calling Ford's toll-free line
or by contacting a local Ford dealer who can obtain specific information
regarding the vehicles from the Ford On-line Automotive Service Information System (OASIS)
database.

573.6 © (3) - Estimated Population of Vehicles Potentially Affected
Approximately 434,593 vehicles in the United States and federalized territories.

573.6 © (4) - Estimated Percentage of Affected Vehicles with the Condition
Unknown.

573.6 © (5) - Description of Non-Compliance

A 2007 Ford Mustang V-6 coupe was tested by NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance to the
requirements of S16.1(cool.gif of FMVSS 208. One requirement of S15.3.6(a)(5) was exceeded for the
unbelted, front passenger 5th percentile female anthropomorphic test device seated in the full forward
position.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accidents or injuries related to this non-compliance.

573.6 © (7) - Basis of Non-Compliance Determination

On July 24, 2007, Ford was informed of the test results recorded for a 2007 Ford Mustang in a test
conducted pursuant to the requirements of S16.1(cool.gif of FMVSS 208 for the NHTSA using an
unbelted, front passenger 5th percentile female anthropomorphic test device. An investigation was
undertaken, including inspection of the test vehicle, additional crash, system, and subsystem
testing and analysis to confirm the observed condition and to determine vehicles potentially
affected. After an extensive investigation, it was determined that the subject vehicles do not
comply with the requirements specified above.

573.6 © (8) - Service Program

Ford will notify dealers to stop demonstrating or delivering the affected vehicles until they are
updated with new software for the restraint control module. Ford will notify owners and instruct
them to take their vehicles to a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer for the software update. Ford will
also instruct them to have all occupants wear their safety belts and move the passenger seat
rearward away from the passenger airbag. An owner can take these steps to eliminate any real
world safety risk associated with this noncompliance.

There will be no charge to owners for this service. Mailing of owner notification letters will begin
February 28, 2008, and be completed by February 29, 2008. Dealers will be notified on
February 22, 2008.

In accordance with Part 573.13 (d)(1), Ford is excluding reimbursement for costs incurred by
owners for repair of this problem because Ford's original warranty program would provide for a
free repair for this concern for customers.

573.6 © (10) - Press statement and Dealer/Owner Letters

Ford does not at this time plan to make a public statement concerning the subject matter of this
action. A copy of the Notification letters to dealers and owners from Ford will be forwarded when
available.

573.6 © (11)-Recall Number

Ford has assigned recall number 08C02 to this action.

Brenspeed is advising to return your computer to stock (which also means removal of CAI and anything that is affected by your tune). Looks like I'm out. My stock CMCP's are in about 10 pieces and not in working order. Plus I don't feel like spending 2 hours putting them back on, if they would work.

Brenspeed is advising to return your computer to stock (which also means removal of CAI and anything that is affected by your tune). Looks like I'm out.

WOOHOO! I can return mine back to stock tune and leave the WMS CAI and nothing else is affected. I don't need the passenger seat up all the way anyhow, so I may decide to do nothing about this recall.

dealers are not the first to know things. many times the customer has to show the dealer the info. they will be getting their information about it soon.

Took my '07 Vert in today. They hook up a scan tool the the PCM, run it for about 35 min, unplug it and return the car. Car was in my sight the entire time, hood was not opened nor was anything else disturbed. Real simple. No effect on any performance.

I'm hearing other reports that they will not have to touch the ECM, from people talking directly with the dealer. So our tunes and such should be fine. Brenspeed was just playing it safe until they had all the info.

That said, as always, make sure to advise not to flash the ECM. A lot of people will put a sticky not on their dash. Advise the dealer only to perform what you ask of them.

I would definitely recheck your strategy code when you get the car back, even if you do tell them not to re-flash.

I already have my stock tune loaded and the stock airbox on (Doug's tunes are a bit much in the snow), so hopefully they'll get me in there soon.