recently installed alluminum radiator and electric fan on 89 5.0 overheating

Hello Stangnet
I have an 89 mustang 5.0 with headers ram air, cats and straight pipes advanced timing. I made these mods about 20 yrs ago. The car ran a shade hot with those mods so I installed a heavy duty copper radiator kept the stock clutch fan. It worked fine for 20 years. Cant leave well enough alone with one of these cars. I just purchase a used mishimoto aluminum radiator and dual electric fan with supposedly 4 mos use. Installed with a switch and a relay. Fan works fine. Car however overheats immediately whether idleing or driving. I shut it down when it gets close to the red. The fans have small shrouds around them do I need a bigger one like stock. any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

What brand and model are the fans? Some of the aftermarket ones don't move as much air as advertised.
Also are the fans pushers or pullers, you want the fan to pull air through the radiator.

Are you certain coolant is circulating through? If the fans turn on and coolant temp just quickly spikes it would appear no coolant is moving

I installed a radiator once, never removed the thermostat or water neck, and coolant didn’t circulate. Changed the t stat and everything worked great.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your responses guys the fans and radiator are mishimoto I will get some pictures. It was working fine with the factory setup. the fans are between the motor and the radiator and are pulling. I need to check my timing to tell you where it is but it was fine with the stock radiator and clutch fan??? I will check the flow 96 pushrod. again it was fine before I installed the new stuff

Mine was completely fine as well, just happened to quit working when I drained coolant and replaced radiator. Weird, but that’s what it was.

Do you have an aftermarket temp gauge?

for mine i ended up getting one of those ron francis AR-79 dual relay controllers(its only 53 dollars), drilled and tapped the sensor right above the lower rad hose on the radiator and never looked back. works perfect. the relays mount right to the shroud. the sensor is specific to a certain temp so no adjustment knob. the wires are thick and nicely labeled.