Recommendations

Hey y’all! So I’m a long time fan of mustangs of pretty much every year BUT I have a LOT to learn about them. I’m considering picking up a 2000-2003 mustang GT 4.6 and I was wanting advice, lessons, details, where to go info, EVERYTHING on them. I have a plan of doing the body which is relatively easy considering it’s just gonna be lowering kit, wide body kit, bumpers, lights, hood, wheels, ect. I have for the most part already found most of the stuff I want except for items like wheels, tires, offset, ect. I need advice on what kind of off-set I should aim for and such as well as what would be good tires for daily/performance. I also need advice and direction for doing engine modifications like type of headers/brand, what heads I should go with and where to get them, what’s better when it comes to boost, supercharger or turbo(s) in terms of reliability and budget/level of difficulty installing at home/average cost of having a shop do it. All of those kinda things. So far I know I want to boost it, cam, straightpipe, headers, heads, fuel injectors, high pressure fuel pump, ect. My goal is to hit 500-550 hp while still being good for driving around town everyday. It’s also gonna be a 5 speed manual so I’m gonna need clutch recommendations too. Thanks in advance for the help and advice y’all!

• Sponsors (?)

That is a tons of things to get recommendations for. Everyone’s build is unique and should be tailored to your preferences and budget.

The 1999-2004 mustang is lightweight and has a huge aftermarket for options. It is a great base, sounds great, and looks great. The 2004 GT model has the best PI intake and best heads (most threads for sparkplugs). The bullitts and mach 1’s are highly desired. The cobra has the most potential using the stock components. Go find you one!

Reactions: 1 user
Start with internals and a rebuild kit before starting on adding power mods. I made the mistake of not starting there first. 12 grand later I'm having to rebuild the motor with forged internals. I'm hard on my car and love stop light to stop light acceleration. You can get away with factory internals but above 300 hp I advise building the bottom end, pistons and rods. Anything above 450 go with forged internals and a forged crankshaft. Everyone will have their own opinion but until you have been there and experienced it like I have most will just give their thoughts on it. If you want to build a 4.6 go and read the book from the picture I attached. This book breaks down the tolerances of everything the motor can handle and it's dead on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191106-204138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191106-204138_Chrome.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 76