Progress Thread "Grover" Progress Thread - Interview @ Foxtoberfest '23

Don't get me wrong, I get it i'm not against road racing a foxbody, but if you are going to build something like that car, there is no point even considering that calypso. Just get a good roller and build it from the ground up. No point in paying up for a bunch of stuff you are going to pull out.
Sounded to me like he wanted instant track car.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Building anything from the ground up takes an exorbitant amount of money (brakes, H/C/I, complete suspension) and either enough time to do it yourself, or still more money. And the worst part is that it would be a year or more before it was ready. As you said, I need something turn-key.

The C5 corvette is a great idea. You're right, it's already decently powerful, nice brakes, and a better suspension. It's just that in my case, I owned one for 10 years and tracked it at the Nurburgring many times. Been there, done that, and unlike foxes, I'm tired of that particular car. My next Corvette WILL be a C6Z.

And... Yes. Much as some would not approve, a 10-15k dollar car that I could track would be phenominal! That's a value that I would not be afraid to run to its max and that would in turn be a lot more fun. So, I would track the hell out of the calypso if I got it. That said, I don't know if "track car" is fair. I would drive it on the street, too. And honestly, I can't see being at Laguna Seca more than 5 or 6 times in my 2 years here.

Reactions: 1 user
Option 2 with the supercharger removed would be you best best. An all motor fox with the right cam would be a blast. Take the money from the Kennebell and finish off the car how you want.

Or just buy a Miata for cheap and wait until you are ready for the C6Z.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd also probably pull the blower off as well. What's a reasonable resale to expect on it? Aren't the KBs discontinued?
He could get $2k for that blower easy. There are a lot of people that want a Kenne Bell twin screw as a first choice but cannot find one and then settle with a centri. Of course most people prefer the 2.1L Flowzilla which is even harder to find but the 1.5L is no slouch when sitting on top of an HCI and providing about 6-8 psi.

I want one!
Go back to your corner!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRd92yGzdmfaMgZy3NwqXTODAIKSOiSokkGu0lPcV9xJ55UEkIT6w.jpg

;)

New interest: https://chico.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-mustang-gt-track-car-fox/6346060181.html

On initial look, it seems like it's a fully decked out open track car. "Full griggs/cortex suspension with watts link" and Baer brakes sounds great! I'm hard pressed to believe the 340 rwhp with "decked" stock heads, though. I am unlikely to buy a car if I catch the seller BSing about anything, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt until I've seen the parts list.

The guy is working up some pics to send over and I asked for a performance parts list on the car. This *could* perfectly fit the bill for a trackable Laguna Seca car. Might be a lot of fun.
00b0b_1WSfK7tzNZU_1200x900.jpg
00Q0Q_eMapLj0RyCb_1200x900.jpg
00v0v_ktviquk80yS_1200x900.jpg
01414_l0yzSQqguwD_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
About a year ago in the Malvern, Pa area there was a road race mustang for sale. I believe it was built by AM. It was still street driven I believe and would have been EXACTLY what you are looking for. If I had the money, it would have been in my driveway. It may still be out there. I say that because it didn’t sell then was posted again on CL. Maybe it didn’t sell again?

Yes. That looks pretty interesting, though I'm not convinced that a blower for an Open Track car is the best idea, as it adds weight up front and introduces potential heat issues.

Regarding the last track car I posted, the seller said he'd send more pics and info but did not. I'm assuming that he got my email address wrong.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, does Laguna still have sound/noise restrictions there and if so, would that car pass them? I've heard they do for motorcycles but not sure about cars. Also, what are the California rules for track cars as far as emissions, etc. and how hard is it to make one from out of state compliant?

Great questions. I'm new to CA and don't know the answers. Yes, I've heard LS does have noise restrictions and I'll be sure to ask the seller.

One nice thing about being in the military is that I can register any car in my state of legal residence, Florida, which doesn't have emissions testing or sound restrictions.

Made a solid offer I think he'll take on this car: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/89-mustang-lx-50/6376452424.html

A couple more details from the conversation:
Edelbrock performer heads
comp cam - didn't know specs
Stock transmission
No torque box reinforcements

00a0a_6gESF2XijDr_1200x900.jpg
01616_lffxzuMZgYn_1200x900.jpg
00F0F_fuGq1TH3gXW_1200x900.jpg
00O0O_7ze4VnTE3hn_1200x900.jpg
00p0p_4yksZ1aAf43_1200x900.jpg
00s0s_eqKB4AhfNvY_1200x900.jpg

Offered $6,500. Don't know if I can get that back out of the car here in cali where it won't pass emissions and it doesn't have A/C, but I think it would be fun to take around Laguna Seca. Just enough suspension, power, and brakes to make it a cool track car. Won't be the fastest thing on the track, but maybe the most fun!