Refinish quarter window rubber

• Sponsors (?)

There isn't a kit to refinish, but there are a lot of threads on here and corral about how to refinish them. Basically, tape off the glass and build up the molding surface with high build primer (you can find this at a local auto parts store) and then sand them until they are smooth. Repeat as many times as necessary. Be careful to keep the "character" line that runs along the molding. Once they are smooth, paint them black. Most people go with SEM Trim black, but there are other options as well. It can be done on the car, but you have to be very careful with your sanding and you have to tape the thing off pretty well to keep overspray from getting on the car. If you CAN remove them, that is the best option.

Is there a kit to refinish the seals on these windows or do I have to buy new windows?
There are covers that can be installed over the mouldings. Glued in place. Only a few really patient people have ever got them to work well and look good. You can also refinish yours with fillers, primers, and paint, however it is not as flexible as the rubber was intended. Purchasing windows would be the best option but most costly. An aftermarket window is available made by Scott Drake which is the cheapest but has no Mustang logo in it. The factory style Carlite windows are also available but the cost is about $550.00 per pair. Another option would also be good used ones but good luck finding them, maybe on ebay.

Reactions: 1 user
There are covers that can be installed over the mouldings. Glued in place. Only a few really patient people have ever got them to work well and look good. You can also refinish yours with fillers, primers, and paint, however it is not as flexible as the rubber was intended. Purchasing windows would be the best option but most costly. An aftermarket window is available made by Scott Drake which is the cheapest but has no Mustang logo in it. The factory style Carlite windows are also available but the cost is about $550.00 per pair. Another option would also be good used ones but good luck finding them, maybe on ebay.

Are the Carlite coupe windows back?

I refinished a set last year and there not holing up very well. The trim paint is lifting in places and cracking through and showing primer. Not happy after all the work I put into them and then installing.

I gave up and ordered a Carlite driver's side window from the Ford dealer last week - should be here any day. Hopefully I'll save some money and order the passenger side next month. And BTW, the price for the set is quite a bit cheaper than LRS.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the LRS kit on my old car : http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...stang-Hatchback-Quarter-Window-Molding-Covers

They worked great!

s12.jpg

s10.jpg

my covers are 7 years old besides a couple cracks they look great and fit perfect i bought some Mothers back to black last summer now they look new ever since
Picture088-1.jpg

Whoa, I've never seen so much love for those covers in one spot.

IMO, they look and fit like complete :poo:. They bulge out at the top, and looked tacked on. I bought some way back when after seeing the magazines all singing their praises, and they were so disappointing that I eventually just through them in the trash.

Restoring the quarter windows isn't hard. You don't need to work at a body shop to be able to do it yourself with very good results. Save yourself the money on ugly covers and do it right.

Whoa, I've never seen so much love for those covers in one spot.

IMO, they look and fit like complete ****. They bulge out at the top, and looked tacked on. I bought some way back when after seeing the magazines all singing their praises, and they were so disappointing that I eventually just through them in the trash.

Restoring the quarter windows isn't hard. You don't need to work at a body shop to be able to do it yourself with very good results. Save yourself the money on ugly covers and do it right.

maybe it was the installer mine dont bulge at the top and definitely dont look like they are tacked on, i didnt install mine they were on my car when i bought it i was very impressed how good mine look and still happy with them

mine look fine to me!

e9etahaq.jpg

etunepub.jpg

Note the color difference here is due to camera flash, they look the same in person

upydeny5.jpg

Attachments

• etunepub.jpg
    etunepub.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 194
  • e9etahaq.jpg
    e9etahaq.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 164
  • e9etahaq.jpg
    e9etahaq.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 228
  • upydeny5.jpg
    upydeny5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 167
  • upydeny5.jpg
    upydeny5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 153
  • etunepub.jpg
    etunepub.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 167
mine look fine to me!

e9etahaq.jpg

etunepub.jpg

Note the color difference here is due to camera flash, they look the same in person

upydeny5.jpg

looks great!! mine fit great too the only thing that looks a little off is how much they shine when new but after some time they will match perfect mine do

Attachments

• e9etahaq.jpg
    e9etahaq.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 161
  • etunepub.jpg
    etunepub.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 180
  • etunepub.jpg
    etunepub.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 175
  • e9etahaq.jpg
    e9etahaq.jpg