Refinishing Qtr windows & exterior trim

NKau

Founding Member
Dec 15, 2001
Jefferson, WI
Just looking for what works best for everyone. The moulding on my rear quarter windows isn't too bad yet, but it's badly faded and starting to get 'rough' in the corners. The rest of the trim and the mirrors are all badly faded as well. While the car is in for paint, I figure it's a good time for me to monkey with this stuff, so any suggestions you guys have for refurbishing the quarter windows and the trim is greatly appreciated.

I was told that for the trim, I'd want to just sand it down, and try and find a semi-gloss high temp engine paint. For the quarters, I have to idea on how to go about prepping or painting. Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

I did mine on the car, and the biggest part of the job was masking the 1/4 window trim. I found that in order to get them new looking you either have to do a lot of sanding or have some sort of black body filler to fill in the rough spots. Since lots of sanding is not my best talent, I used 220 grit and got them semi-smooth. I used some exterior satin semi-gloss paint from Home Depot. The one that I did looks much better than the one I left alone.