Refresh me on thermostat Gasket....

smokediver27

Jun 16, 2003
Florida
Just put a new thermostat in and it's leaking like crazy. Doesnt the correct gasket encomposs the complete water neck, including going around the hole that the bypass hole flows through,,,,the gasket I just bought encompasses the hole that the thermostat sits in, put does not reach out to where the other hole is that coolant flows through.

• Sponsors (?)

smokediver27 said:
Just put a new thermostat in and it's leaking like crazy. Doesnt the correct gasket encomposs the complete water neck, including going around the hole that the bypass hole flows through,,,,the gasket I just bought encompasses the hole that the thermostat sits in, put does not reach out to where the other hole is that coolant flows through.
IM confused...

The hole where the TStat is IS where the coolant flows through. The TStat blocks flow until it opens. The gasket has the holes for the bolts too.

Get some red RTV...but a thin film down before the gasket goes on...Massage the massage the gasket on until it is "seated" fairly snug..Let it dry 15-20 minutes...Then apply a thin film on top and spread it around evenly with your finger. Let it sit enough to begin to dry (about 10 minutes). Then put it on, making sure that it doesnt "slide" down as you are attaching it. That should dry a couple of hours before you start the car back up.

RC

You have the wrong gasket. Make sure the stat does not fall out of the groove in the neck. Use some RTV to help hold it in place.

If it drops down and you tighten it, it will kink the stat and leak. I did this the first time and had to go buy another. Good luck!