registering your car as a race car???

• Sponsors (?)

Not in California, a friend of mine has a 68 camaro with a 396 in it and it wont pass emissions (back when it mattered... doesnt anymore) so he registered it as a historical vehicle and got around it that way. I doubt our mustangs can be done that way. If you do find a way to do this please share the info.

Grundy has nothign to do with registration. Grundy provide insurance for any car regardless of age as long as a couple restrictions are met. Insurer has to be 26 years old, car has to have something about it that makes it "collectable", and the car can not be used as your daily transportation. Grundy has no milage limitations BTW.

I know this because I am about 2 weeks from getting insurence from them for my '90 GT 'vert.

Don't know if IL has something like what you are describing, but I know NY does not until the car is 25 years old. Then you can get collector plates, but you are limited to a certain number of miles. But at 25 years old in NY only a safety inspection applies across the board. So a 1979 or 80 Mustang can have anything in it and it only has to be "safe". So you may as well just insure it and drive it with regular plates and not have any restrictions.

I've never heard of a state registering a car as a race car and letting you drive it occasionally without emissions inspection. I suspect abuses to the rule would be so bad that they wouldn't continue doing it.

I hate anyone telling me I can only drive my personal property only so much. My car, I make the decision about how much or how little I want to drive it. If I drove it everyday it wouldn't be special anymore. I'd just be my other car.

tjm73 said:
Grundy has nothign to do with registration. Grundy provide insurance for any car regardless of age as long as a couple restrictions are met. Insurer has to be 26 years old, car has to have something about it that makes it "collectable", and the car can not be used as your daily transportation. Grundy has no milage limitations BTW.

I know this because I am about 2 weeks from getting insurence from them for my '90 GT 'vert.

Don't know if IL has something like what you are describing, but I know NY does not until the car is 25 years old. Then you can get collector plates, but you are limited to a certain number of miles. But at 25 years old in NY only a safety inspection applies across the board. So a 1979 or 80 Mustang can have anything in it and it only has to be "safe". So you may as well just insure it and drive it with regular plates and not have any restrictions.

I've never heard of a state registering a car as a race car and letting you drive it occasionally without emissions inspection. I suspect abuses to the rule would be so bad that they wouldn't continue doing it.

I hate anyone telling me I can only drive my personal property only so much. My car, I make the decision about how much or how little I want to drive it. If I drove it everyday it wouldn't be special anymore. I'd just be my other car.

Well in IL, in order to have your car legal without passing emissions, you must have modified vehicle insurance,there will be restrictions, but after that contact the dmv. Every state has there own rules, I have a carbed 95, right now my plates are suspended because of emissions, you think I havent tried to do everything in my power to get my car legal.