relocating a/c controls to ashtray slot

daniel93gt

Aug 6, 2005
Has anyone relocated the a/c controls to the ashtray slot in the console. I have found 2 cars on the net that have had this done but I cant seem to find a way to contact the owners. Does anyone know how difficult this is, or how to do it? Please post pics if you have? :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't done this but could imagine how. It's something that you would have to really want to do, and it would take work, but is possible. The thing that really makes it hard is the ashtray door is smaller than the controlls, therefore you would most likley have to take the controlls apart, and custom make a pannel to hold them in a newer compact fashon, and then rig up the controlls where they would work. If your doing if for show, go for it, but otherwise it sounds like a big project.

I haven't done it, but I have read about it (I was interested before I ditched my center console). The vaccum and electrical lines can be extended to reach, but the "hot/cold" knob is a cable control. The cable out of an Aerostar can be used (I don't know which one, or if their was a rear control for the aerostar?) because it will bolt in place, but has the longer cable to reach the HVAC box under the dash, after being relocated to the ashtray.