remanufactured carburator

green

Apr 26, 2003
is a remanufactured carburator any good? is it worth the money or would it be best to just buy a new one. i was just looking at the edelbrock carbs and they had remanufactured carbs 4 sale also. just wanted to know what you guys think. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First off, Edelbrock carbs suck so either new or rebuilt your getting screwed. As for reman. carbs in general; as long as they are rebuilt properly by someone who knows what they are doing, then it should be just as good as new. If your talking about remans coming straight from edelbrock, they are just as good as the new ones. They just cant sell them at the same price as new because of the stigma of being used before. But either way, your better off with a Holley or Demon if you ask me. They get the same mileage but are much better performers.

There are strong opinions on carbs. I went through two hollys on my 68 Firebird. One used, one new, and have worked Hollys for years. I gave up and tried an Edlebrock Performer. That car ran PERFECTLY after that. Idled for the first time in it's life. Was a Pontiac 428. And was absolutly terrifing to drive WOT....I would get a new one myself, but Smock is right, if they are from the MFGR, then they should be just as good...

Edelbrock carbs suck so either new or rebuilt your getting screwed

Can you be a bit more specific? I have used Holley, Edelbrock, and Carter carbs with much success. A low-end Edelbrock is almost a total clone of a Carter AFB anyways. All of the above will run excellent if tuned correctly; although I personally prefer tuning a Holley-style carb. Both the Holley and Edelbrock carbs have advantages over the other, and based on your application and preference you should be able to make the right choice.

Anyways, not trying to start an arguement here, I just get pissed when people make sweeping generalizations with nothing specific to back them up. I am anxious to know why Edelbrock carbs "suck" so bad, perhaps I won't buy anymore if someone can give me a good reason.

The problem comes in the restrictive venturis, have you ever looked down that thing, and the fact its very limited in how much you can tune it. Holley has accelerator pumps you can change out or adjust, the option of mech or vac. secondaries, 4 jets not 2, optional 4 corner idle, vastly more stock and aftermarket parts to choose from, easy float adjustment. You cant even use most air filter housings on an edelbrock without using either a spacer or a banjo fitting for the fuel inlet, what the hell is that about? Also, only one fuel line inlet which isnt a big deal for stockers but what about the built strokers and power adder boys who need fuel fast. The edelbrock is so unadaptable that you cant even use it for blowthrough poweradding. And what about the cfm sizes? 500, 600, 750, and 800? Not a lot of choice there since 800 is just too big for almost everybody and 500 is dinky for anything so that leaves the 600 and 750. Well, Holley has the 600, 650, 700, and 750 just to name a few which seems pretty versital to me. Thats just off the top of my head. I've also tried some edelbrocks in my day and they never really did much for me, but the Demon and Holleys I've had are great, and they arent much more in price especially since you can get used and reman ones off Ebay for next to nothing.