Fox Remembering The "heap"

Onefine88

Previously 89SSC18
10 Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
I was sitting here today thinking of the '87 vert I brought back from the dead! Like alot of people, I ran into some money problems and had to sell it not long after I completed it. I really miss it!
I originally bought it in '07 for $700 for the drive train, part out what ever I could and take the rest to the crusher. But people started daring me,, betting that I couldn't restore it. Well, after some thought I decided to take on that bet.
Somehow the project got nicknamed "The Heap", which fit perfectly. LOL
I took it completely apart , filled up a dumpster more than once and started over. It had no top, the cowl was destroyed because the hood had came up at some point in time, the body was twisted, doors dragging, suspension was shot, interior was trash, mice had taken over the hvac, ect, ect, ect.
I wish I still had before pics but I had the progress build on my old desktop that died a couple years ago so I lost everything.
I painted it "Grabber Orange". A paint color used on '70 model Mustangs and then again briefly in '07. I put together a complete black interior and used a nice top and frame from a wrecked '91. From many years of playing with these cars, I had accumulated a ton of used OEM parts, aftermarket stuff, wheels, tires, springs, shocks, ect, ect. I used most of it and saved me ton of $. I still had an estimated $10K in it.
I had just got it road worthy and running good when someone made me a decent offer so I sold it, really before it was completely done.
Oddly I haven't seen it since, nearly 4 years now. Wish I knew where it ended up. Its hard to hide a car that color. LOL Has anyone seen it around?

RandyGO2.jpg
RandyGO3.jpg
29658_1348577993484_4123806_n.jpg
29658_1348579873531_6898607_n.jpg
29708_1326368038249_2941956_n.jpg
29708_1326368878270_8169161_n.jpg
RandyGO1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

10400463_1112320527195_5256837_n.jpg
10400463_1112320567196_4221936_n.jpg
10400463_1112065680824_6930410_n.jpg
10400463_1112065800827_984085_n.jpg
Found another couple pics online of a track day I attended. It was still not complete. The engine was just put together and not dialed in yet. The interior was still out, I bolted in a temporary drivers seat and a shifter for the weekend. I borrowed the wheels/tires from my '88.
I remember I drove it hard that day around 40 track miles and it burned an entire tank of gas. LOL
It held together though, nothing fell off and I had a blast.

Reactions: 2 users
That's pretty cool man! I have never seen that car, but it looks like you did an amazing job with it.

Joe
Thanks Joe! I did work hard on it. Not to pat my own back but I spent over 2 months just blocking the body preparing it for paint. Each panel on that car was flawless. It was straighter than stock and may very well be the straightest Fox vert out there. LOL
I sold it to a local friend. A couple years ago he re-sold it to someone in North Carolina. It has since disappeared. I've never seen a pic show up on this or any of the other popular Mustang Forums.
A car that color just doesn't disappear. It was a "love it or hate it" color so it may have been repainted since I owned it.
Here's how it looked after my buddy "the buyer" made a few changes to it, and how it looked when he sold it. He had also put heads,cam and intake on it. It made a little over 300 to the tires.
IMG_20110312_173132.jpg
IMG_20110312_173252.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking car to have been the way you described it. I understand the regret of selling one you should've kept. I have a long list of them.

Thanks man! And yes, track days are fun! I beat on all three of mine at the track at some point. You find out real quick on a road coarse that your car needs more chassis, suspension, BRAKE, and tire upgrades. Power is usually not important.Typically people get a false impression that their cars are soooo fast on the street. But take it to the drag strip or road coarse and get an eye opener. LOL I used to do it alot but time, money and life happened. Now my white and orange cars are gone.
Don't get to go to the track much these days. I'm saving for a tranny right now. When that happens I do plan to hit the drag strip with friends very soon in the red one.
Randy13.JPG
2.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Clean rides bro. I'll be down Myrtle Beach this week so I'll see if I spot it there. I haven't been to a track day in a car but I have been on my bikes and it sure is a rush!. There is nothing like finding out what your machine can do.

Clean rides bro. I'll be down Myrtle Beach this week so I'll see if I spot it there. I haven't been to a track day in a car but I have been on my bikes and it sure is a rush!. There is nothing like finding out what your machine can do.
Thanks!! It is a rush on the track. You can run the livin sh-t out of your car and not have to watch your mirror for police. LOL You do need to be careful and not get cocky though. I got too aggressive with my SSC one weekend and went offroading. I did miss the wall and barriers but running 80ish mph through a grass infield tends to mess up the front end of a freshly painted Fox.
When I returned home from that trip I had to remove the front bumper cover and lower valance, strip and repaint them. I got some great rollbar cam footage of me helplessly trying to keep the car on the track. :D

i will be down in MB as well. No car as its not ready but will be in my friends 03 cobra . LOLSRT8 on the plate if you see us rolling around thats it

Cool, I'm leaving Wed Morning but I will be going to Concord NC first then Tabor City Nc then I will drive down. So I'm thinking Thursday - Sat I will be there @TOOLOW91. All my friends keep asking me if I will drive the Stang or tow it. I'll be gladly driving! Just be careful Richmond to N.C. line. Those cops are treacherous!!!

Cool, I'm leaving Wed Morning but I will be going to Concord NC first then Tabor City Nc then I will drive down. So I'm thinking Thursday - Sat I will be there @TOOLOW91. All my friends keep asking me if I will drive the Stang or tow it. I'll be gladly driving! Just be careful Richmond to N.C. line. Those cops are treacherous!!!
Will do thanks pal

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate