Remote Start in factory key fob

I was walkin to class today, mind you its in the mid 30's here and its going to get colder, and I was thinkin......and this is just me thinking out loud here, if somethin is wrong let me know.....how much work would it be to turn my panic button into a start/shut off button for a remote start.

I figured that pressing the button sends a signal to a box that controls the lights flashing and the horn honking, and maybe I could reroute those signals to go to a aftermarket remote start system..

Let me remind ya that I have no experience with remote start or how it works, but I think I have enough amibition to do it....assuming its possible

I would rather use my factory key fob than get an aftermarket one and try to teach it to unlock my doors and pop my trunk (I have a friend with a 96 gt that the previous owner had some security system that got ripped out when the guy sold it...now his power locks and trunk doesnt open (electronically) anymore...

• Sponsors (?)

The problem I see with this is:
An aftermarket remote start system will have a box that controls everything- when it gets the signal (an encrypted, frequency-hopping RF signal) from the fob it does all the things it needs to start the car. You'd have to find a way to "trick" it into thinking it was told by the fob to start the car- this will probably not be easy, otherwise these remote start systems would be very insecure. If you did find a way to do that, you'd then have to fight with the car's built in security measures (I think the stock keyless system has a fuel or starter disable circuit). After that, you'd have to find a way to make the whole thing play nice with the stock wiring system, so that you can still turn the car on/off with the key... A lot of things to do, for sure.

Your best bet is probably to get the whole aftermarket shebang- keyless + remote start. They really aren't hard to install, just run two wires to the power locks in the door (or find the wires when they enter the car), a wire to the trunk button, one wire to the lights, the circuit for the starter disable, the wires for the siren/horn, and whatever the remote start needs (probably a bit more in depth...).

Just some things to think about. You could definitely do it, but I doubt it would be very easy, and probably end up being more trouble+money than just installing a new aftermarket solution, not to mention the security risks it would add. I installed a custom push button start in my 'stang (so I could be completely keyless) and I considered doing something similar to what you've suggested when I did it, but even though I was already redoing all the starter-related wiring it was still too much to attempt what you're suggesting (plus my 5spd added a whole 'nother level of PITA to it :D).

-Michael

First of all... STOP THINKING..

Second.. Yes, there is a way to this, but WHY?? The factory fob works from like 15 feet.. At that point you might as well just crawl in and start it..

My compustar Pro remote works from 1.25 miles away, and is smaller..

Compustar 2 way alarm starters have an input that can be used to signal the car to start..

I wired one for a firefighter that would start his car upon recieving a radio call because his radio had a - output on it that would trip the unit, so his truck would be warmed up and running by the time he got out to it..

Speaking of... Did you ever get the shop to work out the bugs on your system??

No It turned out to be the antenna I had resoldered it to gain some more room and it must of gotten too hot and fried something, So i got a new one put it right behind my rearview mirror(hidden) been working ever since.

A manual can have remote start it has to have some extra sensors so that it won't start when in gear, doors closed and something else I forgot. :nice:

I didn't feel like explaining this, but I will..

remote start in a MANUAL CAR

There are a couple of extra wires that need to be hooked up in a manual transmission car.. Door Pins
Parking Brake

The Starter wire is just connected to the back side of the clutch switch, which doesn't disable it, but just bypasses it when the system is activated..

So, you are getting ready to get out of your car...

YOu pull the parking brake and the system takes over the ignition.. You turn the key off BUT the car remains running... You exit the vehicle, shut the door, AND THEN THE CAR SHUTS OFF..

This is called Reservation Mode..

If you were NOT in the car, and it was running, it was obviously in Neutral OR driving down the street on its own...

Now that the car is in reservation mode, it can be safely remote started without any problems.. There are NO neutral safety switch sensors needed..

IF you open the door before remote starting the car, this DISABLES reservation mode and you have to go through the procedure again..

I have had a remote start in a manual tranny car for 7 years and counting with ZERO problems..

I told you ingorance is bliss ;)