Remote Start

• Sponsors (?)

A remote start on a manual...I wouldn't do it. If the car is in gear and you try to start it: it can lurch forward, break the starter, break the flywheel, all sorts of bad stuff.

It can be done. You just have to remember to leave the car out of gear when you want to use it.

I actually have/had it installed on my car. Its illegal to have remote start on a manual..in california? in USA? not sure where the line is.
I would recommend an ultrastarter alarm system, as they design their alarms specifically for manual remote start setups.

Hey Wiz, what's all involved with setting up the remote start? The guy at the shop was saying you have to do some special things before you shut the car off so the remote start will work. Just wondering what you had to do.

I was looking at one, I can't remember which but the steps are as follows:

1) Turn the ignition off (the car still runs)
2) Engage E-brake, and put in neutral
3) Get out of car (engine shuts off when door closes)

This way you are 100% guaranteed that your in neutral. If the door is opened, the remote start is disabled until you go through the sequence again.

Riley

With the Ultrastarters there are some hoops you have to jump through to enable the remote start(basically what scud said). I have an audiovox alarm, and my alarm guy did some crazy stuff to allow the remote start to work on my car. I eventually had him disable it. Ran into way too many problems, and I didnt want any major mistakes :D

basically you just have to bypass your nuetral safty switch. I would not do it. the only way I would have it installed on a manaul trasmision if there as a switch system that would only let the remote start engage when the tranny is in neutral. You are basically just waiting for some accident to happen if you install it on a manual. I washed my keys by accident one time with my remote start. my car started up and shut off three different times before I figured out wtf was going on.

good remote starts are sweet though. I recomend code alarm. I had an avitel and is was not as nice. I will say again I think installing one on a manual is stupid unless you were to design you one trick switch mechanisme that would only allow it to activate in neutral.

This is what I do as a side line.

I install remote starter on cars and for a manual car there is no problem at all .

When a manual car has a remote starter(at least the one I install), to be able to program it , the car has to be running in neutral with the parking brake engaged, when all those 3 things are met you hit the "start" button on the remote, open the door(car still running) get off the car and when the last door will be closed the car will shot off and lock all doors by itself , by doing that the remote starter will know it's ready to be remote started, if by accident someone open the door you will not be able to remote start it, you'll have to redo the procedure all over.This is approuved in canada by all insurance company but I don't know for the USA.. :shrug:

Here's a link for the remote starter I'm installing on car.. Look for the Starter 800 Clicky

hognutz said:
I will say again I think installing one on a manual is stupid unless you were to design you one trick switch mechanisme that would only allow it to activate in neutral.

Read my post (above).. there is no switches anymore , and the design is done already..this is the safest thing on the market.

Also we bypass the PATS , like you all know it won't start without the key in the ignition(electronic device) so we can bypass it, pretty tricky but it's working perfectly.

Also we bypass the PATS , like you all know it won't start without the key in the ignition(electronic device) so we can bypass it, pretty tricky but it's working perfectly.

How do you do that exactly? My guy basically took the chip out of the key and mounted it inside the steering column...which seemed a little sketchy to me...but what else can you do?

wiz said:
How do you do that exactly? My guy basically took the chip out of the key and mounted it inside the steering column...which seemed a little sketchy to me...but what else can you do?

You can do it this way or buy a special module..I have customer not willing to pay the extra $50.00 for the module so I do the key thing..

bunch of crap.. There are alarm systems out there that will start when it's in gear and still not launch foward.
I'm getting mine installed soon.. It basically starts the engine but all the electricals are off.. so no launching foward.

KaPPaBaLL said:
bunch of crap.. There are alarm systems out there that will start when it's in gear and still not launch foward.
I'm getting mine installed soon.. It basically starts the engine but all the electricals are off.. so no launching foward.

:rlaugh:

What planet are you from? The clutch is mechanical, and the PCM, EFI, fuel pump and ignition are all electrical. You cannot keep the car from lunging forward if the transmission is in gear, and you will never start the car without all of these electrical systems functioning.

:nonono:

I have the Clifford remote start with my Intelliguard 8000. Works perfect.

You stop the car, pull the e-brake. Press the "remote start" buttons, the remote start engages. You pull the key out, close the door and arm the alarm. The motor shuts off. If you put your foot on the brake or clutch to engage the gears, the motor shuts off and won't allow you to remote arm it.

Click on the link in my sig, and I demonstrate it in my Magnapack videos (both startup and shutdown).

Sam98 said:
:rlaugh:

What planet are you from? The clutch is mechanical, and the PCM, EFI, fuel pump and ignition are all electrical. You cannot keep the car from lunging forward if the transmission is in gear, and you will never start the car without all of these electrical systems functioning.

:nonono:

have to be wrong one point in life or another huh? hehe