Removal of oil pan

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Is it at all possible to remove the oil pan without removing the engine on our cars? I have a leaking oil pan gasket and was curious what I had in store for me. Also if it is possible to remove the oil pan without removing the motor then how bad would it be then to replace the rod bearings while pan is off?

• Sponsors (?)

i don't think its possible, but maybe someone who has tried will give you better answer. when my oil pan gasket was leaking, we just slathered it up with some sealant and hoped it would hold for a while. which it did.

i have changed the pan gasket with the motor in the car. its a PITA but it is possible if you raise the motor. hardest part was getting the new gasket under the pickup and over to the other side. i believe i read in my haynes maunal that in order to remove the pan you would need to drop the rack but i cant say i have done it.

i have changed the pan gasket with the motor in the car. its a PITA but it is possible if you raise the motor. hardest part was getting the new gasket under the pickup and over to the other side. i believe i read in my haynes maunal that in order to remove the pan you would need to drop the rack but i cant say i have done it.

Ok well The rack is not a big deal at all to take out, So I am going to finish "Project 4Liter" so that I have another car to drive around then work on that. Also I might just put a new oil pump in while I have the pan off also...

when i changed the oil pan gasket in my car, i didnt need to jack up the engine at all. just loosen the pan enough to drop from the engine, remove the low oil sensor, and take the gasket off. then slide on the new gasket from the outside, and loop it around. that way i didnt have to deal with the oil pick up. makes it a much easier job. didnt even have to undo the motor mounts. :D