removed silencer and air box, now get a tone while cruising?

40oz

Jan 9, 2006
Minneapolis
I removed the silencer and the factory air box and swapped in a K&N. Now, when cruising at low rpms at a constant speed, just above idle, there is a constant tone coming from the engine bay. Hard to describe, not real high-pitched but kind of like blowing over a bottle.

I vaguely remember reading something about this in another thread. Someone suggested that the IAC makes noise when it gets old, but my 03 only has ~24K on it (over half the miles since I got the car 10 months ago). Is it remotely possible that the problem would go away if I removed and sprayed down the IAC with some parts cleaner?

It doesn't bother me much, but it seemed to start when I put in the open K&N. Is this what the silencer was supposed to silence? It wouldn't surprise me if I owned myself here lol. Anyone else experience this?

• Sponsors (?)

I have taken my silencer out, but I put in a drop-in K&N filter in the stock air box. Did you buy the FIPK or just the filter? I noticed a little more of a "sucking" noise from under the hood, but nothing to excessive. I don't think you should mess with the IAC unless it is having problems at idol.

My Merc Cougar would do stuff like that with an open element air filter. It was just the air and how it was coming in the filter. I would blip the throttle and it would go away.

It's just the sound of air being drawn into the intake...your intake is no longer "silenced". :)

You could have a leak somewhere...just make sure the filter is tightly held onto the intake.