Removing Battery

I need to replace my battery in '95 GT, but when I went to remove the dead one today, I realized I have never seen a connection like the ones on my car. There appears to be a bolt with a ring around it and no nut on the bottom connecting the cable to the battery posts. There are posts coming from the battery with hex that would match a wrench, but they appear to be battery posts and not something to remove to put cables on a new battery. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not visualizing what you're describing very well, although offhand it does sound like the stock cheap connectors. It's also possible to remove the OEM connectors and put whatever you want on the wires. Can you take some photos and post them up on here?

Some retard put a sidepost battery in your car, with sidepost converters. Normally, those batteries are used on GM vehicles only. Those things with the hex on them are screwed into the battery so you can use standard top post hookups on them. They are actually only suposed to be used for testing the battery, not actually starting the car. That's a total redneck job. Just disconnect the clamps from those posts, and discard the posts. The battery you need to get is a 58 series battery, which will have top posts that the clamps go around.

Kurt

disconnecting clamps

Guess previous owner was a poor DIY guy. Anyway, I don't know how to remove those clamps unless I just force them off. The little screw holding them tight doesn't seem to have a place to turn or loosen. I reread reply and think you are saying I can remove those posts and then get clamps off. Is that right? Thanks for your good help.

It is out

The "facing down" part made getting to the bolt a little harder, but thanks to forum help it is out. When I put in proper battery, at least the bolt won't be facing down. Thanks so much. Will get a new battery tomorrow.

Those look to me like the OEM battery connectors, they match what is on my red GT right now. Looks like the previous owner twisted them around to fit. That battery is definitely not the right one.

that looks like the kind of battery in the caprice my son drives. it is a total pain in the a$$ to work with because the posts are up against the coolant overflow tank and there is so little room that you could never get jumper cables on the if your life depended on it.