Removing burnt oil from header?

jcode68

Jul 15, 2003
Massachussetts
Is there any way to remove burnt oil from a ceramic coated header pipe? Had an oil leak (will be fixed this weekend) and as you can see from this pic, my nice new cermaic coated header looks like dog poo:

2161687_118_full.jpg

Is there any way to chemically remove this to make it look decent or is it too late?

• Sponsors (?)

NO NO NO, BE extrememly careful cleaning coated headers

DUDE, if you use laquer thinner or any other harsh chem, it will remove the oil and the coating. This is worse than leaving the oil on it.

Call the MFG of the coating. They state only soap and water, not any cleaner that is basic (meaning a pH greater than 8 like Castrol Super Clean or other Degreasers).

I highly reccomend leaving the oil on there. Eventually it will cook off. If you want to pre-clean most of it off, use Simple Green. It is pH balanced and bio-degreadable so it should not hurt the coating. Also, do not scrub with anything that will scratch the surface. If you can wrap the oil spot in a soaked towel of Simple Green that would be best.

The coating is only 1.5 though thick. Half the thickness of a human hair !

Good luck, cleaning car parts sucks.

I tried the simple green and it got some off, but not much. I ended up using a citris based hand cleaner and a small nylon bristle brush. I got the idea to try the cleaner since it always cleans the grease and oil off my hands perfectly. It worked really well and the abrasive in it is mild enough that it didn't seem to affect the coating. I got the majority off and could have made them perfect if I wanted to spend all day...