Interior and Upholstery Removing dash on foxbody

90LXFOX

Mar 11, 2022
United States
I’m fixing to change my dash for one I picked up that is in excellent shape and is all black and have a few questions I hope I can get some help with.

(1)Can you pull just the plastic part of the dash and leave the metal frame in the car ?
(2) is the wiring in the dash mounted to the metal frame or is mounted to the plastic part of the dash or both ?

I’m trying to get the parts installed that I have bought as I am getting ready to sell the car and would like to have the interior in the best shape for the sell ?

• Sponsors (?)

1) yes, pulling the dash takes the plastic dash and some of the HVAC ducting. It leaves the metal frame

2) the wiring if fixed to the frame which remains in the vehicle.

Reactions: 1 user
The year makes a difference in the dashes. Airbag dashes (90-93) are a little different around the column where they bolt up from the 87-90. Is the dash you got from the same year range of your car?

It was perfect shape and didn’t think about the fact about how they were different under the column. Dang it

Attachments

• D328612E-20E4-4767-BD58-875AE7B9615D.jpeg
    D328612E-20E4-4767-BD58-875AE7B9615D.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 65
Yup, that’s an earlier 87-89 dash.

The column and under column area is different and requires different pieces.

I’m sure it’s doable, as I have a 90-93 dash on my original 87-89 frame along with the 87-89 column trim. It just might be a little tricker going the other way with the airbag column

Also, the hvac controls are different. You’d need to get the 87-89 controls.

IMHO, since it’s a painted dash, I would cut your losses, sell it, and get a 90-93 dash. The compromises you’ll make aren’t worth it for a painted dash

Never heard of removing a dye to get to a "base color". I thought parts like that were manufactured with the factory color being an integral part of it. Curious what additional info comes out about this.

Never heard of removing a dye to get to a "base color". I thought parts like that were manufactured with the factory color being an integral part of it. Curious what additional info comes out about this.

My original red dash is actually gray plastic with the red and black portion being painted/dyed. It’s buried in my attic but I’ll see if I can get a pic. Problem is the molded gray color doesn’t match any of the gray interior colors. I bet Ford (or whoever the sub was) molded it and then dyed it regardless.

All my black interior plastics are molded in the base color, so I’ve seen it both ways.

I painted/dyed mine black after I removed it from the car. Following the directions on the can I put several coats a on and let it dry for about a week. Keep a small amount for touch up because no matter how careful you are it will scratch somewhere however touch up is easy

Attachments

• 88E361DA-6AA8-44EE-88AA-786327AC95FF.jpeg
    88E361DA-6AA8-44EE-88AA-786327AC95FF.jpeg
    554.6 KB · Views: 53
A critical step to paint plastic is to prep it... The plastic prep products do a pretty good job of prepping plastic.. I prep plastic a few times as you never know how much Armor all was applied to it.......