Engine Removing EGR Valve from Phlenum

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hope, this has not been asked or answered. How do I safely remove the EGR spacer from the Phlenum? I've soaked the four bolts on the spacer for two days and they will not turn. Used the method suggested by Matt on the Youtube Vid.

Also, whats the stock size for the EGR Spacer?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJwal5Cl2k

Attachments

• 1991 Fox LX Phlenum.jpg
    1991 Fox LX Phlenum.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah, they're a pain! The steel studs tend to corrode into the aluminum on the spacer and the manifold. My go to is PB Blaster but Kroil works great too. Spray the penetrant, tap on the studs with a ball peen hammer, several times. Soak and tap over and over. Bang on the EGR spacer with a dead blow hammer. Try to tap in a thin putty knife between the spacer and manifold to break the seal. Nothing fun about it. Patience is the key here! When you do get it off, clean it well and definitely replace the studs with a new set.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I have a stock throttle body, will those studs fit or should I upgrade to the next size spacer n throttle body! From what I was told Stock is 58mm n should go to 65mm. My intention are to keep the car stock as possible. I live in Kaliforniski n they r strict on Emmisions.

I have a stock throttle body, will those studs fit or should I upgrade to the next size spacer n throttle body! From what I was told Stock is 58mm n should go to 65mm. My intention are to keep the car stock as possible. I live in Kaliforniski n they r strict on Emmisions.
Leave it stock, no point when:
You're in a Communist state so strict emissions.
Stock heads and intake will only move so much air, spend the money on a K&N or similar air filter in the stock air box and swipe in a rear gear like a 3.55 or 3.73.
I would slide a better header in but that's kinda splitting hairs when bone stock
Oh, and this is JMO and should not be used as mechanical advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Leave it stock, no point when:
You're in a Communist state so strict emissions.
Stock heads and intake will only move so much air, spend the money on a K&N or similar air filter in the stock air box and swipe in a rear gear like a 3.55 or 3.73.
I would slide a better header in but that's kinda splitting hairs when bone stock
Oh, and this is JMO and should not be used as mechanical advice.
Any idea where I can get a new stock Throttle body?

thanks

Yeah, they're a pain! The steel studs tend to corrode into the aluminum on the spacer and the manifold. My go to is PB Blaster but Kroil works great too. Spray the penetrant, tap on the studs with a ball peen hammer, several times. Soak and tap over and over. Bang on the EGR spacer with a dead blow hammer. Try to tap in a thin putty knife between the spacer and manifold to break the seal. Nothing fun about it. Patience is the key here! When you do get it off, clean it well and definitely replace the studs with a new set.
DAMN!!!!! LIKE THE 54 Ford Customline.

Reactions: 1 user