Removing oil pressure sender

• Sponsors (?)

I use mechanical gague for water temp and oil pressure, .. why ? more accurate maybe .. just my personal choice ! .. I've read here and there about both pros and con of mechanical vs electric .. and I made my choice !

Ya it was my personal choice as well. Mechanical gauges have no sender to depend on, and you get readings whether the car is ON or OFF, whereas with electronic gauges you need power from the ignition to turn the gauges on.

I use mechanical gauges as well. I like the idea of them to be "Real" readings. Straight to the gauge from the engine. Also it is a good idea to get the copper line upgrade for the oil pressure gauge instead of the plastic that comes with the gauge. Autometer part number ATM-3224. Summit has it for $8.95.

Mavrick said:
Ya, i bought my gauges used from a guy in PA. Nice guy, sent me the adapter fitting for the temp gauge, fittings and copper line for the oil gauge!
Sweet. :nice: I had to buy mine when I ordered them from Summit. A lot of people just order the gauge and not the adapters and then get upset when they don't just hook right up.

89sleeper said:
Sweet. :nice: I had to buy mine when I ordered them from Summit. A lot of people just order the gauge and not the adapters and then get upset when they don't just hook right up.

Yep, that would have been me if this guy didn't give me all the extra stuff, :p

Pretty easy to hook up so far, got a T fitting and set that up for the oil pressure. With the temp, im just using the autometer, not going to bother drilling another hole in the intake for the stock one, it's junk anyhow.

Now the hard part, getting the cable/copper through the firewall and into the central vents!

If you look on the rear of the intake on the drivers side it has a plug that can be removed and you can hook up your gauge. Thats what I did so I didn't have a "dead gauge". I also got a T-fitting for the oil pressure gauge. As far as running the copper line, just be patient. It's not too bad. I used to have my gauges in center vent (two 1 5/8") with the little ac vents on the side but nothing directs the air around them. It just blows air out behind the dash. :notnice: So I got the peice of foam with metal stuck to the back from the 3 gauge kit and blocked off those vents.

Be sure and use PLENTY of teflon tape on the T fitting that you put on there. I guess we didnt get enough on mine cause I noticed it was coverd in oil when i was changing my oil. Just another thing I need to fix....

Well good luck and make sure your connections on the gauges are good I wouldnt want to have hot oil/water spraying out in the cockpit.

89sleeper said:

LOL . that's what happen to me .

man I was piss ... had to wait another 3 day to get the fitting ..

anyway ..

I might ortder that copper line for the oil . I dont trust the plastic tubing .

evn_05 said:
Be sure and use PLENTY of teflon tape on the T fitting that you put on there. I guess we didnt get enough on mine cause I noticed it was coverd in oil when i was changing my oil. Just another thing I need to fix....

Well good luck and make sure your connections on the gauges are good I wouldnt want to have hot oil/water spraying out in the cockpit.
It would be impossible for the water gauge.

MavericK5L

Yeah. The copper line is inexpensive and is cheap insurance.

btw, the autometer mechanical water gauges don't use liquid in the lines, they use gas. So when the line breakes you lose the gas only, no chance of hot coolant in the cockpit. I would worry more about the 10 year old heater core.