Repair,replace Or Swap Damaged Lower Radiator Support?? Experience And Opinions Welcome.

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
My new project (90 GT) has damage to the lower radiator support like they ran over a parking curb. Basically it is just the lower portion pretty much centered. Now, I have a 89 GT vert as a donor and I was thinking of cutting out this portion and swapping it in there.

Opinions if I should go this route or leave it? Are there any issues with this or problems I am going to run into?

Should I order a team Z tubular lower support and swap it?

or??????????????

I don't think I would have issues with leaving it but I kinda want it to look right too...... I would appreciate any opinions anyone may have or anyone with experience or knowledge of working on this would be awesome. Just taking a quick peek at it, it looks like some areas are doubled up and not sure if this would cause issues.

Johnny

• Sponsors (?)

Mine had the same damage...lower part of the support was pushed forward, like someone took a tow hook and attached it to the front. My dad repaired it for me. Used a come-along (you old body guys probably know what that is ;) ) attached the other end to a strong part of the frame. pulled it down, smoothed it out, and it looks good. It was pushing the bumper forward a bit, but now the bumper sits flush with the rest of the body.

See what you can do to repair it. If not, then cut the other one out of the other car. May be easier that way.

I replaced the one on my car with a piece of mild steel 2" dia tubing I had. Used an exhaust tubing bender to make it fit correct. The reason for the replacement on mine was so I could fit a larger radiator. I also made my own radiator mounting brackets. I thought it was going to be a weight savings mod, but was surprised at how light the stock piece was.

Here are some photos. Not the best but it was raining and windy today. Looking back at it now it looks like I can bend it back into place. From the front it doesnt look like anything is even wrong with it. It is from the back that looks the worst. The only issue from the front is that bracket piece that goes up to the top of the radiator support (last photo from upside down view) is pushed through the metal. Let me know what you guys think.
-B

stang1.jpeg stang2.jpeg stang3.jpeg stang4.jpeg stang5.jpeg

I replaced the one on my car with a piece of mild steel 2" dia tubing I had. Used an exhaust tubing bender to make it fit correct. The reason for the replacement on mine was so I could fit a larger radiator. I also made my own radiator mounting brackets. I thought it was going to be a weight savings mod, but was surprised at how light the stock piece was.

It doesnt look heavy at all and the only reason I would replace it is to repair the damaged part. It is pretty thin metal and would probably come off pretty easy. I am more worried about how the metal is doubled up in some areas and how hard it would me to get it attached correctly.

Mine had the same damage...lower part of the support was pushed forward, like someone took a tow hook and attached it to the front. My dad repaired it for me. Used a come-along (you old body guys probably know what that is ;) ) attached the other end to a strong part of the frame. pulled it down, smoothed it out, and it looks good. It was pushing the bumper forward a bit, but now the bumper sits flush with the rest of the body.

See what you can do to repair it. If not, then cut the other one out of the other car. May be easier that way.

It doesn't look like it effects the front bumper at all. I think I might try to push it back out but I just dont want to waste my time it is irreparable.
I have the Team Z replacement I welding in on my 89, great piece. It does not have any where for the AC condenser to sit FYI
Yeah, from all the advice I am getting it would be cheaper to have one made than to buy the Team "Z" piece. I could weld on the flanges myself so just have some tubing bent would be the only thing to outsource.

Hi Old Blue- I would replace especially if you have a donor piece. It would be very difficult for you to repair that and get it square again since its a 3 dimensional piece. Good Luck

Yeah, I really need to get in there and assess the damage. With the wind and the rain today I didn't feel like getting all grudgy. I did go out and get another set of jack stands to ease swapping the three rears (actually two swaps and one just taking out to sell). Still need to strip what I don't need and get rid of this vert.

Anyways. I will try and post up my decision just so peeps can have this for later to look at. Any other opinions welcome as well.