Replace AOD shifter cover on 94 GT

dsm1212

Jun 27, 2007
I want to replace the shifter cover on an automatic 94 GT that is damaged. This is the piece that shows PNDR12 and has a small black strip that moves back and forth with the shifter. The edge of this shifter cover rests "underneath" a larger part of the console. I believe I need to pry out the frame around this larger piece to remove it. Is there a tool I should use or just gently pry it with a scraper or something? Anyone have advice on how to pry this out? I'd rather not end up with 2 broken parts :).

thanks,

steve

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks. I finally got around to try it and sure enough it pulled right out. So removed the shifter handle, unscrewed the two bolts holding the shifter cover down and lifted it out. The light bulb attached to the shifter cover turned and came right out, but the O/D button seems to have been inserted top down so that I can't remove it. Or at least I could damage the old shifter cover to remove it, but then I couldn't insert it into the new cover from the bottom.

The manual seems to indicate that I should remove the two O/D wires from the plastic connector at the other end so I can push the O/D button out the top. That connector seems to be up under the center console though. I was hoping not to remove the whole center console for this. Does that little O/D button come apart? Any other suggestion?

thanks,

Steve

well i have a manual trans so it is kind of hard for me to visualize this whole button thing, as i have never seen what the automatic shifter looked like, but if i am visualizing this correctly, couldn't you just cut the two wires, then once you got the OD button into the new bezel, just splice them back together? just an idea, but i may be way off

I was considering that when I had it apart, but I wasn't sure how it would hold together. I guess some electrical tape around a connector would hold. Maybe you're right. I'll think about it and give it a go this weekend.

If you can't tell I don't work on cars much and never on the inside. Usually just minor engine stuff (oil, etc).

-steve

after re-reading what i said, taking the center console out it not hard at all, it is probably less then 10 screw to do it. i dont know if you have a chiltons manual (if you dont, & if you are planning on keeping your car, get one because you will def. look at it more then once), but they show how to do it, and if you are interested i could scan and post the pages.