Replace Turn Signals

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of times, LEDs require the install of load equalizers. Advance Auto sells them. I tried have LED tails, front corners on my 04 Lightning. Had to install one on each corner to make them blink properly. I tried putting LEDs in the backup lights, wouldn't come on. I suspect I need to put a L.E. on each side for those to work as well. LED on a trunk light, nah. Wasted energy to wire in a L.E. for a damn trunk light. LOL!!

Load Equalizers aren't difficult to install. They just get "teed" into the hot wire for whatever bulb you are putting them on. The equalizer itself must be mounted on something metal to act as a heat sink, they get hot.

Yes, what he said. You can only use a limited number of LED's, depending on the circuit, before the system detects it as a blown bulb and just stops sending power to it. It's a weird setup but that's how these newer cars are. You have to use resistors in the circuit for it to detect enough current to think everything is OK. You can find ones on ebay that have built in heat sinks and they just go inline on the hot wire going to the bulb.

My LED taillights came with resistors already on them and I had to use a couple for my LED rear side markers and LED panel trunk light.

American Muscle has a great selection of plug-and-play led tail lights. They're all of the sequential type, except for one t hat is "chaser". Chaser meaning that that all three sections of the light are not on at one time. They chase each other, starting with the inner section, then the mid section, then the outer section.

A lot of times, LEDs require the install of load equalizers. Advance Auto sells them. I tried have LED tails, front corners on my 04 Lightning. Had to install one on each corner to make them blink properly. I tried putting LEDs in the backup lights, wouldn't come on. I suspect I need to put a L.E. on each side for those to work as well. LED on a trunk light, nah. Wasted energy to wire in a L.E. for a damn trunk light. LOL!!

Load Equalizers aren't difficult to install. They just get "teed" into the hot wire for whatever bulb you are putting them on. The equalizer itself must be mounted on something metal to act as a heat sink, they get hot.
Installing a lower current bulb, then having to install a resistor to draw extra current seems like a waste.

Installing a lower current bulb, then having to install a resistor to draw extra current seems like a waste.

For a trunk light, yeah I agree. For turn signals, if you want to go LED, it's worth it. Here are a few pics of my Lightning with LED signal lights. The rears are one-offs, no other set like them. Had to put a load equalizer on each for them to blink properly.

And my Mustang has Spec D tail lights and front corners. But they came prewired with the resistors already wired in. Plug-and-play.

Attachments

• 01010058.JPG
    01010058.JPG
    507.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 01010061.JPG
    01010061.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 01010039.JPG
    01010039.JPG
    599.5 KB · Views: 40
For a trunk light, yeah I agree. For turn signals, if you want to go LED, it's worth it. Here are a few pics of my Lightning with LED signal lights. The rears are one-offs, no other set like them. Had to put a load equalizer on each for them to blink properly.

And my Mustang has Spec D tail lights and front corners. But they came prewired with the resistors already wired in. Plug-and-play.
I’d rather try something like this before splicing in resistors.
If your car is stupid sensitive about telling you a bulb is out, it might not fix the whole issue. But I can see this being a god deal on many vehicles.

Right. The problem is, at least on the Lightning, I have never been able to find the flasher. It's up under the dash in some unimaginable spot. I can hear it clicking, but cannot put eyes on it. Looked for it for several months, finally gave up and spliced in the resistors.

On the 91 Mustang, the flasher is easy to get to. On the 200? G.Marquis, the flashers are in some module that also controls the headlights. It was replaced under a recall or I would not have looked yet. I have LED tail light and back up bulbs for the Mustang ready for the next time I pull a hatch panel, but only LED back up bulbs in the Merc.

Honestly the heat sink resistors are super easy to use though provided you have a place to use them. I totally forgot but the ones I used most recently had 194-style plugs on both ends so all you had to do was plug one end into the socket, and plug your light/harness/whatever into the other end.

I'm not even sure if the '05-up use a traditional flasher relay?

Reactions: 1 user