Replacement Cats?

PULMEOVR

I need a bigger E-Penis.
Sep 29, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Hey Guys,

In April, I'll be bringing the Mustang out from Winter storage. I'll need an emissions test in order to get a new validation sticker. I currently have a MAC catalytic Prochamber mid-pipe on my car. My car is lowered with H&R SS springs which causes the mid-pipe to hang low, consequently coming in contact with the ground every so often. Because of this, my catalytic converters are damaged. Last year, I barely passed the "e-test".

This year, I will need to replace the cats. I don't want to replace the whole mid-pipe. What are my options in terms of replacement catalytic converters? My local shop is pushing the Walker brand cats. What other brands are out there that you could recommend?

I believe the MAC pipe I have uses Magnaflow cats, which have always done the job in past years. I could probably replace these cats with the same parts, but again, I am debating my options.

Also, the emission laws here are tight (similar to California) so I'll need something efficient.

Thanks! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Just get some off of americanmuscle and have a muffler shop put them in. The one's on there are high flow(just means they are alittle smaller) but you should be fine with them. Should only be about $50 to install them.

Just get some off of americanmuscle and have a muffler shop put them in. The one's on there are high flow(just means they are alittle smaller) but you should be fine with them. Should only be about $50 to install them.

+1. I have the SLP cats from AM and they work great for emissions.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/slp-ceramic-catalytic-converter.html

Also you can ask if there is any adjustment room to make your midpipe a little higher off the ground. Sometimes all it takes is a little adjustment to give you just enough to not scrape (or scrape less).

I feel your pain regarding emission tests. Here in NC we don't have the sniffer test, just the OBD2 diagnostic check for codes. Don't know where you are and what type of test you have.
Physical damage on the converters themselves shouldn't be a problem unless the internal brick is crushed and won't "convert" the bad air to good air. At most it might rattle. Mine are hang a little low, drag on occation, but the damn car is low. :D:rlaugh:The bottom line in NC is the fact that it passes when the car is plugged in at the inspection station. I can't remember the last time they actually looked under the car for cats, heck, MILs could work here.
BTW, I have a pair of MIL eliminators on the shelf. ;);)

^^ I wish! Emission testing is super strict in Ontario ( :canada: ) and no shop is willing to 'pass' you. ;)

I think maybe I'll opt for the SLP's, but I don't know if they will filter as well as I need them to.

I think the internals are damaged as the cat shells have gotten pretty crushed over the years from numerous bang-ups.

I'm wondering how much of a difference in exhaust emission reduction there will be between the installation of two high-flow cats and two 'regular flow' cats.

Brand new "high flow" cats should -- YMMV -- be okay if the engine is in good shape, if the front O2 sensors are working well, if the ignition is up to par and if the EGR is functioning properly. The readings will be worse than the OE midpipe could give though and there's no guarantee the cats will pass after a few seasons. If you habitually use any sort of octane booster with MMT (e.g. the NOS "race" stuff) you will contaminate the cats and will have trouble down the road.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input. :nice:

I'm probably going to stick with Walker cats or some other 'mid'-flow cats. I need something that I am not going to change out every two years, it's a hassle and gets expensive fast ... especially since I could spend that money on mods.