Replacement headlights

Rusty67

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
Seattle area, WA
My 2000's headlights have fogged up as they tend to if you park them out doors. I want to upgrade to the 01+ smoked head lights. Are there any issues with the aftermarket ones ? Are they just as good as the OEM ones as long as you silicon seal them ?

Any recomendations as to who to buy the headlights from ?

I also need a new header panel and a cowl vent cover. I'm thinking ebay for those...

• Sponsors (?)

I recently replaced my 2000 GT's headlights with smoked aftermarket lights, they look 100x better and I havent had any issues but as for longevity I dont know, It only took 5 minutes to replace them so if I have to replace them in a couple years im not complaining, they were dirt cheap vs. other brands Ive seen online.

The brand is "Depo" and the part number is 331-1173R-AS2

A friend ordered them from his shop in town but i'm sure they can be found online.

Here's some before & afer pics: link

The only issue I have with the aftermarket ones is they are all Chinese made.

Otherwise you can drill two small holes in the bottom of your existing ones to allow the moisture to escape.

how big should the holes be for the moisture to drain? and where abouts on the bottom should they be. I have major condensation issues in mine

I haven't done this on the headlights, but I did the foglights a couple of years ago (too cheap to replace them :D). Where to drill? Thats easy, the lowest part of the foglight. How big of a bit? I don't know the size but it was very small, maybe less than 1/8".

how big should the holes be for the moisture to drain? and where abouts on the bottom should they be. I have major condensation issues in mine

I used a 1/8th bit...drilled on both ends at the bottom. Check to see if yours have a hole already there. Some do and it has a rubber stopper inserted. Just pull out the stopper.

my bodyshop replaced the headlights after my wreck with cheap knock off's, but i cant tell the diff between them and OEM fords. My knock off's also have the same venting as the OEM did, plus the thing i like about my knock off's is they also have a left/right adjustment for the headlight to where the OEM ford only has up/down