Replacing Ac Pump - Do I Need To Add Pag Oil To My Pump?

Rusty67

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
Seattle area, WA
Normally I wouldn't even ask and just add the amount in the shop manual but when I took the plastic cap off to bolt on the AC hose manifold, there was already oil in there. I was trying to figure out if the compressor I bought came prefilled and the page says most assemblies are precharged with oil:
https://www.fordparts.com/Products/Air-Conditioning-Compressors.aspx

Being that I bought Motorcraft YCC322 I'm wondering if it was prefilled and I can just bolt it on and go. There is also a blue FoMoCo label on the pump that says oil amount 7oz. I'm not sure if that means there is 7oz in there or that 7oz is the amount of oil expected to be put into the pump.

Also, I got an accumulator, Motorcraft YF37396. I'm fairly sure this needs a small amount of PAG46 oil in it before I button the system up as per the shop manual. I wasn't able to see anything on it showing that it was prefilled.

Any info is much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I talked to Ford and they said the part number comes prefilled with oil so I will drain it completely and double check that the amount they put in was correct.

They were not sure about the accumulator but being that it only takes a small amount and part of what it does is soak things up, I think I'll try to drain it but not worry too much.