Replacing heater core in '68 w/ interal A/C?

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
Antelope Valley, SoCal
I fix one problem and five more pop up, I swear. This is on top of the $420 I paid to the DMV today to do late transfer/ back registration/use fee/sales tax/etc.

I'm just wondering how difficult it is to replace the core. I looked in my '68 factory manual, but it only has a description and no drawings(the Montego/Fairlane/etc do). I've replaced one in a '65 non-A/C and one in an '89 GT(wont forget THAT one). Do I need to disconnect the A/C for this? It would would be nice to know if I do before I charge the system.

• Sponsors (?)

I did mine a couple years ago and it was a piece of cake. I have a 68 without AC, so not sure if it's different with AC. Hardest part is getting up under the dash on passenger side. Open the heater box and R&R the core.

I dont know either, I just assume that A/C complicates everything. For the time being I made a heater bypass out of soldered copper tube. Unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, it does actually get cold in some parts of CA!

Did you just pull the bottom of the blower box off, or did the whole thing need to come out?

fun

It's just more fun that without the AC. Did it a couple of years ago. Just everything is very tight. I had seats out so that made it easier. Lot's of cables to deal with. I unhooked the AC hoses, would be best to do that. Look for all the screws and nuts holding it. They all have to be off before it comes out.

Enjoy

Dan