replacing lower front ball joints

pudman

May 31, 2008
tujunga,ca
I need to replace the lower front ball joints on my 86 gt vert, and was looking for some suggestions on which ones to buy. This is my daily driver, and occasional canyon runner so I'm not looking to buy some totally trick high dollar stuff. Mind you these are the original ball joints from 86 with over 372,000 miles on them. BTW the car is lowered about 2" with FRPP "C" springs if that makes a difference. One more thing.. are the poly dust boots better than rubber?

• Sponsors (?)

i just put some good heavy duty ones on mine. i think they were moog from car quest or napa. and they are fun to put in. if you have a 2 ton press its easy and, the hardware to get them out and new back in. btw my a arms were off the car because i put new poly bush in them also.

Another vote for Moog and using the loaner press from the parts store. It's a PITA but do-able.

It sounds like you could use some bushings too - I'd do like WHT did and pull the arms and let a machine shop do the BJ's and bushings.

Good luck.

my vote is for a set of moogs with grease fittings, and while your at it replace the old rubber bushings with some polys. its for sure easier to do when they are off the car. its probably your best bet to have a local machine shop press them in if you dont have a press. they usually only charge about 10 a piece.

Just get a new set of ford racing controls.
If not get the ball joints and a ball joint press from harbor freight.
Not sure how it works on a mustang but it easily did the ones on my explorer once you understand how to use it.

around 120+tax for moog ball joints plus another 60 plus tax for the ball joint press kit and separators from harbor freight....so you're looking at about $200 roughly to do it yourself, or order ford racing control arms for around $300 from late model or somewhere similar

replacing the ball joints on the car is absolute cake.

get the steeda x2 ball joints for a lowered car.

just rent the tool from autozone...they press right out and press right in.

The ford racing control arms are a good deal, however they just come with rubber bushings....My suggestion is to upgrade your original arms with energy suspension poly bushings. My bro and I did this. No squeaks, no noise from them, and they came out great.

thanks to all for the replys. I already replaced the bushings with poly's about a year ago. I know... I know. Should have done the ball joints then, but I was not as knowledgeable about car repairs then. I had a shop do the bushings for me. Did all suspension bushings at that time. Not to worry. I didn't put poly bushings on the rear upper control arms. I do have access to a press so I'll take the control arms off and do it the right way. I read somewhere about extended length ball joints for lowered mustangs. Is this something I need to do or is this not a true statement?

If you already have poly bushings for the front control arms, there really is no reason to pull the whole arm off. Just rent the tool from Autozone or somewhere else. If you have an impact the job will take literally 5 mins once you get to them. They are easy with the c clamp press kit.