Replacing rear hose from brake line.

FordStang

Founding Member
Sep 19, 2002
Orange Park, FL
Due to brake fluid leaking from my rear caliper right where the hose connects to the caliper for the past three weeks I figured I better replace the rear calipers and hoses. So far in three weeks I've filled up the brake fluid twice. My question is does anyone know how hard it is to replace the short little hoses? I know its pretty easy to unbolt from the caliper but I mean at the other end where it actaully connects to the brake line. This is my DD 2000 v6 stang that I use to go back and forth to work in btw. Thank you for your time and any help is greatly apprecaited.:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Should be straight forward. I just did a quick check on my 2000 GT. Simple compression fittings where the hard line attaches the the flex line. Might be best to use flare wrenches if you have them.

Recommend new copper crush washers around the banjo connectors.

I would wedge a block of wood between the seat and the brake pedal so that the brake is held half way down. This will close off the MC return port and prevent the master cylinder from draining whle the brake system is open.

Disconnect the battery neg to keep the brake light from draining the battery.

Regarding the need for flare wrenches, as the turning effort goes up, the chances of deforming the connectors goes up. This is what flare wrenches are designed to lessen. Suggest trying it with a regular wrench. If it is too hard to turn, then either take your chances or get a flare wrench.

Good luck.

Please fix this ASAP - there was a thread a couple of months ago where a member lost brake pressure and mangled his Stang pretty good because he didn't take care of a known issue with his brake lines soon enough. Don't want to see that happen to anyone else too.

Don't wait until you've rounded off the fittings to go get flare wrenches - if they don't turn with moderate effort then go grab some flare wrenches. Of course, if you're not reusing the line, then you could just head straight to the vise grips since you don't care if they get messed up or not.