Replacing the shifter/manual lever in an AOD- Please see pics

CAscott01

Jul 28, 2010
I need to know how to remove the shifter lever on an AOD. It's in an '88 LX. I'm not sure what's relevant here. I had a leak coming from where the shifter linkage enters the transmission. I was under the impression that the end of the lever would slide off with a little persuasion. Break is more accurate. So now I need to replace it but I still dont know how to remove it.

Please help!

Shifter-ManualLever.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0111.JPG
    DSC_0111.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 709
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks a ton! That's perfect...if only I had it this weekend! This thing should be printed in the back of the bible along with rebuilding a carburetor and transmission. Then they could just call it "Book to Live By."

Love this...

STEP 5. Use a pair of diagonal cutters
to remove the shift lever retaining
pin (5) from the case.
Loosen the
20mm nut on the inner end of the shift
lever and slide the lever out. Leave
the throttle lever shaft and inner lever
(6) in place.

Funny how one line in the instructions can turn into a 4 day issue!

Update: Unless I missed something (entirely possible) you can't remove the shift lever with the transmission in the car. If you look at the pictures you can see that the lever including the shaft is too long to be removed. It hits the floor pan with about about 1/4 to go. That's with part of it broken off that would normally impede you further.

Upside is, if the something happens while trying to remove the retaining pin you can firmly strike the lever shaft and it will shear the retaining pin allowing you to remove the lever. I utilized the BFH method (Big Freakin' Hammer) and a chisel.

If you will look in the pictures..about 1/2 inch to the right of the arrow and about 1/8 in ch up there is a roll pin that must be removed. After that remove bolts from crossmemeber to frame and let trans down,it will clear the floor pan but maybe not the left exhaust(cat) pipe

Got it all done. Worked out just like you said. I did have to buy a cobalt drill bit and drill the "pin" out. Later a trans. guy told me that if you put a smaller dill bit in the hole and hand turned it, it would take the tension off the retaining pin, which is actually just a roll of thin sheetmetal. That probably would have worked.