Replacing valve cover gaskets tomorrow, quick question(s)..

ACSPONY

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 10, 2004
Ohio
Hey all,
I'm replacing the gaskets on my 93 tomorrow, I am going to pick up the FelPro's and some RTV to put around the bolt holes. It looks like I just need to remove the upper intake to get some room. I have the tubular GT40 on the car, so is there an Explorer manifold gasket I need to get in case the old gasket comes off when I pull the intake? I figure the one they sell at the auto parts store for the OEM intake won't work.

Anything else I'll need? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea just go to a parts store and ask for a upper plenum gasket for a 93 cobra or a 97 explorer, its the same gasket as the tubular. Also buy the reusable blue rubber VC gasket with the metal inside, a lot easier to isntall because they dont move around and they are reusable. The parts store should have it in stock, and they should have the upper gasket individually, you shouldn't need to buy the intake set.

Uh oh..

Ran into some problems yesterday so now I have some questions.

First, since it was really cold out, we went to move 2 vacuum lines and they just snapped. I think both are for EGR, one goes to the back of the TB and the other goes to a Tee alongside the passenger side header - they come off a distribution block on the passenger side. I've circled them below. Also, to remove the upper intake it looked like the A/C line is in the way? Is there enough give to move it to get the intake up and out? I think my dad and I decided to postpone the operation until we get warmer weather - the plan is just to take off everything, cut off all the hoses and crap and replace it all with new stuff as we go. So, my questions:

1. What lines broke (circled below) so I know what to ask for at the parts store?

2. What do I do about the A/C line in the way of the intake? Not my engine in the second picture but my line is almost resting on top of my intake.

3. Anything else I need to know to carry this out when we do it? I thought it would be simpler yesterday, but I think there are a lot of old hoses that are just stuck on everywhere and I didn't want to break anything else trying to get the intake off.

35hk6kg.jpg

NickEngine.jpg

Thanks.

Thats just standard hard emissions tubing. It is usualy sold rolled up in a package in different lengths and sizes. Best bet is to take some in with you so you know your getting the correct size. I've also taken rubber vacuum hose and put over the hard plastic line to splice it back together. The broken line on top is to the EGR valve the other line I'm not sure.

To fix the cracked hard vacuum line, i've found that sliding a peice of heat shrink over the two ends and heating it up usually does the job.

Not the right way to do it, but it has worked.

Those lines are sorta unique, and short of finding them off a junkyard car i don't think you can get an OEm replacement

Okay, thanks for the replies. My plan was to find some rubber tubing to make the splice, the heatshrink is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. They're capped off right now and the car is running fine, but I'll rig that stuff up. Do the spark plug holders just snap onto the valve cover bolts?

Yes, provided you put the intake bolts with the studs in the right spot.

I ditched the factory holders and use aftermarket holders. If you are clever, there is a nice neat way to run the wires.