Replacing word T-5, Tips?

1990StangGT

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2002
Whiteman AFB
I'm going to pick up a T-5 later today to replace the grinding T-5 in my notch. I've atcully never done a T-5 but it looks rather simple. Found this writeup..

How to Remove a Mustang T5 Transmission

Anyone have a better one?

Also I noticed my rear shaft is leaking fluid, would it be a good idea to order a new seal? Once I get the driveshaft unbolted will it slide right out of the rear of the trans?

And last question is what is a good way to align the front imput shaft when re-installing it?

Any other tips or tricks I should know about or things I should replace while in there? I won't do the clutch as the previous owner put in a king cobra not too long ago.

• Sponsors (?)

It's not hard. I just pulled mine again this weekend. The h pipe gotta come off, crossmember, driveshaft,starter, shifter. That's pretty much it. As long as you don't take the clutch off it should slide in pretty good. You might have to rotate the trans a little to get the splines to go in.

Don't unbolt the bellhousing from the engine, just unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the gear box to the bellhousing. Should slide right out and saves your allot of time and effort.

Don't unbolt the bellhousing from the engine, just unbolt the 4 bolts that hold the gear box to the bellhousing. Should slide right out and saves your allot of time and effort.

Yes. Very quick. Me and a friend pulled my transmission out in 35 mins with a lift lol. I've pulled that transmission many, many times tho lol.