researching for 8.8 axle swap question and more

zoopa_man

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester,NY
I've been searching for a new 8.8 rear end to install on my 2002 V6 auto stang. I've been reading the boards a lot here and over at 3.8L mustangs and have taken in all i can. I've also been scouring the net and pretty much what i've found is that it's impossible to get a new 99+ with any other gears besides the stock 3.27's in them.

I found the prices at speedconcepts.com to be pretty reasonable with everyone else so I e-mailed them with some questions about getting a 8.8 with something other then stock gears. I got a response back from Ken at speedconcepts and he said for a pre-assembled and complete 99+ the only gear ratio is 3.27. He recommended I get a 94-98 rear with 3.73's already installed. The only issue with that is they don't come with axle shafts. But Ken said I can swap over my existing axles from my 7.5 into the new 8.8 He said doing this will also make my rear the same size as my current setup, meaning It won't be 1.5 narrower. This seems like a good idea. But how easy is it to swap axles over? And how particle? From what I’ve read on other forms the axles are the same between the two differentials, i could be wrong anyone know for sure?

My big question is how hard is it to remove the axles and install them into the new differential? I want to be able to do this project my self to save money, there's no point in doing it at all if I have to go to a shop. So what ever I buy I need to be able to install my self with basic hand tools and a free weekend of time. Also will there be any extra parts I would need in order to do the axle swap to the new 8.8 ? Or is the whole thing a bad idea should i keep searching for a 8.8 with 3.73's or 4.10's. Or option three is to buy a 8.8 with stock gears, buy a new ring and pinion and have them installed for me? What seems to be the best route to take here?

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone know if the 99+ axles will fit into a 94-98 housing?

From the information I’ve gotten on other boards someone has suggested they will not. Racercosmo at Corner-Carvers.com said, "The 99-up 8.8 housings are a different length than the 86-98 housings. the seals bearings and all other parts will interchange between the two, but obviously the axles will not.
The axle flange to housing end dimension is identical to a 94-98." So if that is the case then I won't be able to use a 94-98 housing and swap over my existing 7.5 axles off my 99+ rear.

Ken at speedconcepts seemed to think that it should be an even swap with no issues. I've emailed him back to see if I can get a definite response from him. We'll find out if he knows his stuff or if he's just pushing units out the door regardless of customers requirements.

In any event I’ll keep everyone updated as of now I got 16 reads and no responses. So someone out there wants to know the answer besides me. lol

Zoopa Man:

Recommend you buy an assembled 8.8 with gears. Gears are REAL tricky and have VERY STRICT tolerances. Fudge those up and you may be looking at getting another rear. Hope that helps.

Doc

For the 99-up cars, your choices are more limited. You can buy the one Ford Racing (FRPP) offers, but it only comes with 3.27s. You can try to find one out of a new Mach 1. These come with 3.55s and Cobra brakes. For any other ratio, you'll have to build it or have someone build it for you.

www.stangparts.com has complete hub to hub 8.8 rears for $550.00+ shipping

swapping a 7.5 axle into a 8.8 will not work they are not even close.

unless you are running over 300 hp the 7.5 rear doesn`t need to be changed.

www.gefracing.com has 3.73 and 4.10 gears for the 7.5 for $195.00 and a 7.5 T-Lok for $169.00. add a richmond install kit for $90.00 and a rear end girdle from www.taperformance.com part# TA 1805 for $159.00 and the 7.5 rear will handle 400hp

my 7.5 with 3.73 and T-lok on my procharged 98 is holding up just fine. yes failures have happened to other people running high hp but the stock 8.8 isn`t that much stronger than a stock 7.5.

if you are planning on serious hp then no matter what rear you have you will have to upgrade it to handle the power

cobra232 said:
www.stangparts.com has complete hub to hub 8.8 rears for $550.00+ shipping

swapping a 7.5 axle into a 8.8 will not work they are not even close.

unless you are running over 300 hp the 7.5 rear doesn`t need to be changed.

www.gefracing.com has 3.73 and 4.10 gears for the 7.5 for $195.00 and a 7.5 T-Lok for $169.00. add a richmond install kit for $90.00 and a rear end girdle from www.taperformance.com part# TA 1805 for $159.00 and the 7.5 rear will handle 400hp

my 7.5 with 3.73 and T-lok on my procharged 98 is holding up just fine. yes failures have happened to other people running high hp but the stock 8.8 isn`t that much stronger than a stock 7.5.

if you are planning on serious hp then no matter what rear you have you will have to upgrade it to handle the power

btw, an 8.8 is a crap load stronger then a 7.5 :D I got the entire rear end assembly with 4.10 gears and tlok preinstalled for 500. (i installed the rear end assembly) I had to trade my old axle though.

I got my 8.8 from www.gefracing.com $700 bucks to my door. It came with 3.27's but I plan on putting 3.73's in it.

If you buy a T-lok, and gears and a kit for the 7.5 your looking at almost as much for an 8.8 that is 32% stronger than the 7.5. 8.8's won't break under a V6's power.

After looking around some more I've found no one really makes exactly what I want. That is an 8.8 with 3.73's already installed. None of the places that sell 8.8's and 3.73 gears separate will install the gears into the rear end for me. So I think I’m stuck with either finding one already modified on ebay or in classifieds. Unless someone here knows where I could find a 8.8 with pre-installed 3.73 gears ??

There is always the option of buying a stock 8.8 and 3.73 gears separate. The only problem with that is I think the cost is going to be more then I want to spend. After the parts and then paying someone to install the gears into the rear end I'm going to be over my limit. I'm hoping I can find somewhere online where I can buy my 8.8 with 3.73's installed. Does anyone know of a place that sells that combo ?

Try this site, and give them a call as well http://mustangsalvageparts.com/

I would also call around to speedshops in your area as I found two shops with about 8 different 8.8 rear ends I could choose from. I ended up just rebuilding my 7.5 instead, but the 8.8 gear ratios available were 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, etc. You never know what you'll find in your area until you just start going through the phone book and asking people, "Well, if you don't have what I want, do you know of anyone else that would carry it?" You'd be surprised at how many speedshops there are around you when you start asking a question like that!

Good luck!

im in the same boat, i got a v6 pushing close to 300 hp, im looking into a new rear end, the 8.8 with 3.27 gears are fine for now if i decide to go higher later i will, is it pretty easy to exchange rear ends urself? just unbolt the half shafts from the pumpkin huh? and bolt them onto the 8.8? i could be WAY off with this, but i dont know much about the rear ends of cars

You have to replace the pumpkin and axle shafts. Everything from one rotor to the other gets replaced. So unbolting the struts, LCA's, UCA's, and disconnecting the driveshaft/pinion as well.

You can use your old rotors and brakes, or go with the rotors on the 8.8 already. While you're at it. make sure to get the quad shocks as well, and the brackets for them. You can do everything yourself, but I'd set up an appointment with a rear end shop to look over the gears and set the pinion depth after you bolt the 8.8 on. The quad shocks will require that the brackets be welded on. No big deal, go to any shop and they can do that for you.

i emailed the people at gefracing.com about this, if they get back to me before anyone here does then nevermind, if not, if i need everything from rotor to rotor, then if i buy an 8.8 from them, would it include the half shafts and all that or just the pumpkin?