'reset' Seatbelt?

Moon

Mar 22, 2010
Close to Chicago
Another issue. My gf likes to pull the seatbelt as far as it will go before buckling it. Yesterday when it wound back up, it would not pull out at all; like there is no slack or it's stuck. I tried pushing it back in, but nothing I do will get it to unwind, almost like it's stuck. I was getting parts to do brakes and some (older) man said that in the event of a crash, seatbelts will 'lock' and won't wind/unwind. He said that there is a button or lock connected to the mechanism that will quickly unlock this. Anyone heard of this? If so, can you describe where it's at?

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of that but if there was a release it would be on the rewind mechanism under the trim panel. You need to unbolt the seatbelt anchor, take out the lower rear seat section, you might need to remove the upper package tray but I can't remember. you need to remove the top trim above the rear seats by folding down the rears and finding the 3 bolts, take the upper trim piece off where the seatbelt goes through, remove the rocker panel cover and then pull the lower trim piece off. Under there you will find the seat belt winder mechanism.

It sounds like the belt got twisted and then rolled up and is now stuck.

Tell your girlfriend to stop being a goofball and put her seatbelt on like a normal adult. I understand wanting a little extra slack but she doesn't need to pull the damn thing out all the way (unless she is that big.....)

When you pull the belt all the way out it goes into a lock mode that is useful for strapping down baby seats. The locking ratchet mechanism should release when the belt is fully retracted. Feed all of it back in may have to pull trim to access the actual mechanism.

Also for safety reasons your girlfriend should not be doing that. The mode she is putting the belt in is for baby seats and such.