Reseting my SCT XCAL2

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
My Xcal2 still has my factory tune from my old car and I want to use it on my new one. I have been told by SCT that I have to send it in to have it "unlocked", but cant I do this with the liveload software that comes with it?
View attachment 402699

It looks like I can just reformat the device and hit the unlock button and it will work, what do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with this?

• Sponsors (?)

IF you have the tune loaded in the old car you will not be able to use it on the new car...even if you have the factory tune loaded in the tuner. It will have to be taken to an SCT dealer to clear the old stock tune and replace with the one from the new car.

I'm guessing your car was stolen with one of the tunes loaded?

I'm guessing your car was stolen with one of the tunes loaded?

That is correct. When you look at this program it appears you can do it yourself, and the reason I think you can is I had the dealership screw up my other cars ecu when it was in for service (they didnt know I had an aftermarket tune) and my xcal2 wouldnt recognize it. SCT said I had to send it back to them to have it unlocked, turns out I could unlock it myself with this program- thats why I think I can do it, but I dont want to try it and screw it up...

...so I was just curious if anyone else has tried this.

If you did not flash the vehicle back to stock, Liveload will not allow you to use it again. It's unfortunate your car was stolen and probably if you give SCT proof that it was, they'll probably unlock it for free, but you'll have to ask them.

The Xcals become VIN locked to the vehicle that is flashed. If you want to change vehicles, then you flash the old vehicle back to stock, then use LiveLoad to unlock it. This is the reason the unblock button was put in LiveLoad - to unlock the Xcal AFTER the previous vehicle was put back to stock. I kinda am familair with this because I did the XCal 2 owner's manual for SCT.

If the old vehicle has NOT been flashed back to stock, then a dealer cannot help you - except to give you new tunes. SCT is the only place that can reset XCals that are still VIN locked - they do not give dealers this ability.

Hope this helps.
Don