Restoration time...where to start?

I've got a 67 S-code fastback that is in dire need of restoration.
The floor pans are rusted through prety much all around. The front torque boxes are gone. The Fenders, quarter pannels, and wheel wells need to be replaced....long story short..the whole thing needs to be restored.
The engine runs strong with the 390 its a beast. Its smokin out the breather quite a bit and its coming into the interior though.
The breaks just went out. They kind of work but I think the rear drums are all that is stopping me with the ebrake severed. When I push down on the break i just hear a shhhhhhh sound and they bearly work. I need to completely restore the interior becasue they guy who owned it before me had it in storage so it smells like mice.
So...where do I start my restoration on a petty officer 3rd class salary I don't have a lot of money. But I know I should take care of the rust first.
Suggestions and comments please on whats wrong with the breaks and the smoke coming into the interior and where to start my restoration.
John

• Sponsors (?)

Well, we are going to need a little more info, but I’m sure we can help you get it going. The oil coming from the breather could be blow-by, oil blowing by the rings. Could just be a stuck ring, has the engine been sitting a while? Of course there are a couple of other things too.
The brake problem… again how long has the car been sitting? Have you bled the brakes? Is the shhhhh sound metal on metal contact? Have you adjusted the brakes?
Where to begin the restoration…. Will the car be driven while being restored? If so get the mechanical into shape first. Do you have a good place to work on it? Do you plan to do all the work yourself, mechanical, interior, bodywork?
It’s a long road to do it right, but if you plan it out, you’ll spend less time and money, and end up with a great car. :nice:

:flag: :flag: :flag:

The easiest way to restore a car is to start from scratch, but if your a petty officer does that mean you may be moving every year or so? If so, your gonna have to do it a piece at a time. The big question is do you want to drive it while your restoring it, or just bite the bullet and do it from scratch?

lots of beer, a garage, a stereo, bandaids, and lots of tools!! :D

okay smart a$$ comments aside.... what are you looking to do and what kind of budget are you looking at? i would say pull it all apart and start from scratch (as well) but that will cost $$$$ to get to a usable product.

the shhh sound is not metal to metal.
It sounds like air...and when I push the break the engine starts to idle rough but when i let off the break, it normals out and is smooth.
I will be driving it while I restore. I do have a place to work on it. Its the guy that I would be doing the floor pan work with. Besides that, I have a auto shop here on base where I could do minor work that could be done in a day. With tools and a lift.
Right now, my main thing is fixing those breaks. Then I need to get a new gas tank and sending unit and fuel lines because it isn't getting the fuel right or something. when am in neutral, and slam on the gas...i puts and dies. but if I slowly hit the gas...its fine...this is all idle not moving.

RedPonyGT said:
the shhh sound is not metal to metal.
It sounds like air...and when I push the break the engine starts to idle rough but when i let off the break, it normals out and is smooth.
I will be driving it while I restore. I do have a place to work on it. Its the guy that I would be doing the floor pan work with. Besides that, I have a auto shop here on base where I could do minor work that could be done in a day. With tools and a lift.
Right now, my main thing is fixing those breaks. Then I need to get a new gas tank and sending unit and fuel lines because it isn't getting the fuel right or something. when am in neutral, and slam on the gas...i puts and dies. but if I slowly hit the gas...its fine...this is all idle not moving.

Sounds like the power brake booster leaking to me. I want to let you know what your getting into to redo one of these. I'm not trying to make it sound bad, but. I bought a 67 S code fastback a year ago Nov. 29. I have spent a thousand a month on this thing trying to get it back where it needs to be. I didnt have any rust or body damage to deal with either. This is a mechanical stuff. I have done all the work myself. Thats just in parts. It has a all new interior, brakes, frontend, rearend, and now I am building the motor. In the last month I have ordered over six thousand dollars worth of FE parts. I am only reusing the bare block and bare heads. Everything else in it is all new stuff. Then I need to get a tranny built. I think I can get that done for around three thousand. Well thats the plan. But I will tell you I havent had this much fun working on a car in the last 20 years. Just figure out how much you want to spend and double that. That should put you in the ballpark of cost. I also have a link to pictures in my sig. :D