Return of the 5.0 Mustang

timeless2

Vi Veri Veni Versum Vicus Vici
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
the Shadow Gallery
"The rumor mill seems to have picked up a little wind to keep churning intel regarding the next Ford Mustang and its potential powerplant. Facing contenders, the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge Challenger, Ford has to do something progressive to keep the fire burning inside every Mustang fan. Stuff.co.nz recently conducted an interview with Bill Osborne, President of Ford Australia, and sniffed out some details regarding Ford’s initiatives for putting the 5.0L V8 (from the Aussie Ford Falcon) into the next S197 Ford Mustang."

Read the whole story here...

• Sponsors (?)

That'd be great. Although I'd rather see them toss the 4.6 aside, make the 5.0 the base model GT. And then if they have special edition ones have a stroked 5.4 to a 5.8. You'd get all the familiarity of previous generations of mustangs, plus better powerplants.

I was gonna say why stop at 5.0? (302) :shrug: Why not a Boss 351 with a Boss 429 performance package?:shrug:

But the way things are going I'm gonna say why not make a V-6 (the old 289 badge) and put a Turbo or SC on it. Great MPG, much liter then a V-8 for performance & handling! :shrug:

I hope they get rid of the pushrod idea, if they are thinking about it.

There are much better advanced and efficient engines that this, like the 4.6L. The Ford Mustang platform deserves better than that.

Increase the cubes, and increase the efficiency.

A "302" would be nice to have.

Larger engines, bring more weight.

I was gonna say why stop at 5.0? (302) :shrug: Why not a Boss 351 with a Boss 429 performance package?:shrug:

But the way things are going I'm gonna say why not make a V-6 (the old 289 badge) and put a Turbo or SC on it. Great MPG, much liter then a V-8 for performance & handling! :shrug:

They probably will for the limited edition models but i don't ever see more than 5 liters making it into the GT as a base engine ever again. I just wish they would open up the engine options again like it was back in the day. They could even leave the 4.6 as the base engine so long as they gave us a 5.0/5.8 and so on as options and not limited edition cars with insane prices.

I sure hope so. This may sound weird, but this is a dream for their marketing team. Back in 82/83 they THE BOSS IS BACK with the new GT. I'm not creative guy like those marketing guys, but I can just image them creating some badass commercials that give us foxbody guys some goosebumps.

If I'm not mistaken doesn’t the 4.6 sohc weigh more than a 5.0 engine.

It is physically larger, but it also has an 11 lb intake and aluminum cylinder heads that include camshafts for a total of 85 lbs.

The 5.0L pushrod has the heavier valvetrain (pushrods, lifters, springs, etc.), and 105 lb iron cylinder heads, plus camshaft and 40-45 lb intake.

I think it would be nice if they would bring it back as a push rod motor. imo

I don't even think Ford has a pushrod engine program in place. It would take years and millions to develop and certify a new pushrod motor. Sorry to say but the 5.0 and 5.8 will not make a reappearance in pushrod form.

Ford's soaked a ton of money into the mod family of motors. They will be around for a LONG time. The 5.0's roots started in the early 60's with the 260 V8 and it eventually evolved into the 5.0 last used in 2000. That's almost 40 years with an engine.

The 4.6L (and other versions like 5.4L 6.8L) is 17 years old. It's not going anywhere.

They should just make the Cammer the base GT engine. It's 5.0 liters and DOHC and is rev happy all day long. They made so much power in the Daytona cars that they got a weight penalty after the first race.

I think the reason they don't is cost. The cammer is not a mass-produced engine yet. The Mustang GT would cost $35K for a base model version if the cammer 5.0 went into it.

Until they start mass-producing them (soon i hope) it's a dream

Isn't that motor like 15 grand? :shrug:

Yeah they would definitely have to dumb it down some (but that asking price i believe also includes an entire harness and ECU). It has stuff like magnesium intake with tunable length runners...stuff like that wouldn't make it into a production car and would cut down on the price. It's also something like 400-450hp which would probably drop down a bunch too.

I'm just sayin it wouldn't be hard for them to put a 5 liter DOHC engine as the base GT engine.