Reverse Glow Gauges

Mustang98GTMI

Jan 21, 2004
I have a few questions about reverse glow gauges.

- Do they still show the "dummy lights"? because they say to install them your just slip them over the old gauges?

- also are they easy to install? anyone got a how to?

- which brands are the best?

Thanks in advanced.

• Sponsors (?)

These are pretty easy to install, the main thing (like any other gauge face install) is to make sure you get the needles back on. i have really only seen the NR and APC setups, and installed a set of the APC's. the quality was questionable. the "Blue" is actually closer to a faded green, and they flicker in and out a lot, occasionally going dark entirely. For the dummy lights, it is possible to get it to work properly, but because they have cutouts for the individual letters it must be installed precisely over the stock face, which unless you are very lucky will take a lot of time and attempts to get it right.

The Speedhut gauges I got just slipped over the needles -- this is nice because you avoid the PITA calibration step at the end. It is pretty easy. The three biggest things I would say would be:
1) Make sure you disconnect the two harnesses to the gauge pod so you can install the overlays in good working environment like your kitchen table.
2) Remove the headlight-switch bracket to get easy access to the infamous brown wire.
3) Use copius amounts of two-sided tape, and make sure the needles all swing freely after installing the overlay. If you need more clearance, just pull up a little on the needle (but not off!!!) for some more clearance.

Link to Chad's how-to write up ===> http://www.2kgt.com/_projects.asp?id=17
<B> My gauges: </B>
457554_19_full.jpg

Thanks for the info.

I want to get the ones that the guy has in the above link, do I have to remove the needles. I've read that for the reverse glow you don't have to take off the needles they just slip right over them.

And also what kind of tape did you use?

Thanks.

Mustang98GTMI said:
Do I have to remove the needles? I've read that for the reverse glow you don't have to take off the needles they just slip right over them ... also what kind of tape did you use?
Some you can slip over, and some you can't. Most likely the overlays that come as one solid piece and/or with small center holes ... I would think ... would be very difficult to do without removing needles. My speedhut gauges (above) came in three seperate pieces making getting over the needles very easy.

Regarding the tape, mine came with off-the shelf 3M two-sided tape (the thin kind). What this does is keeps the overlay from slightly buckling up away from the stock gauge. This can happen when they get warm, which can cause some interference with the needle if there is no tape to hold it down.