reverse glow white faced guages install

stang987

Jul 3, 2003
warwick, NY
ok, i have a 98 V6, i bout the white faced guages from UPR, and they installed alright, the only problem was the wiring. im a sped at it. my problem is the black and red wires. If i want to make the guages turn on and off with the stock light "knob", wut do i have to do with each one of the wires?I wud really appriciate n e tips or suggestions. Thx

• Sponsors (?)

there is a conventiant bolt on the tube behind the gauge pod to attach the black ground to (has to be attached to car chassis), the red needs to go to the thick brown wire comming out of the headlight pull switch

im confused...do i yank the brown wire form the headlight knob thing and replace it with the red one fomr the guage set up or not....do i yank the brown wire form the "chassis ground" and replace it with the black wire...?More destript help wud b greatly appriciated

removing the brown wire from the switch assembly looks like a royal pain in the butt, n e suggestions as to wut method is best to join these 2 wires...if I need to remove it and tie them together ...what's teh best way, tool for doing that?

or when you said "tap" before...did you mean strip a section of the brown wire back & away from the switch , and splice the red wire to the brown by soldering the wires together

You are correct. You want to tap the brown wire like you described. Use a pair of wire stripers to pull away some of the plastic outside of the brown wire to expose the metal wire inside. Then just wrap the red wire around it a few times and solder it in. Use a piece of electrical tape to cover it up when your done so it dosn't short out on anything. The black ground wire will have to be connected to a chasi ground. I just used a self taping screw and drilled it into the cross bar that runs accrost the top of your dash between the fire wall. You can't miss it. It's a huge metal bar. I just drilled in the screw and wraped the black wire around it a few times then hand tightened the screw in the rest of the way to hold it in place.