Reverse switch

Gandalf79

Jun 14, 2023
Okay I need to replace or connect my reverse switch on my 79
It has a 5 speed transmission and I can see the switch but there is no harness I can see that goes to it or was there in the first place
Unless it’s in the bundle of wiring that I posted in one of the pictures
Also see a red wire running along one of the brake lines
I’m guessing that’s for the directional or brake lights?
If I need a harness for this one where does it get wired into?
Thanks all
Just need a few items for inspection

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    631.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1387.jpeg
    IMG_1387.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1393.jpeg
    IMG_1393.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Sponsors (?)

The wiring changed in 1983 for reverse. I don't have a wiring diagram for '79 unfortunately.

This is the pigtail for that reverse light connector. You might be able to search around and find it cheaper (and perhaps on amazon) as it's likely a Dorman connector or some other aftermarket part.

You need to ID the two reverse wires under the car. I'd sart by undoing that bundle and seeing how many wires are in there and what colors. It's a logical guess that 2 wires in that bundle are for reverse.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
The wiring changed in 1983 for reverse. I don't have a wiring diagram for '79 unfortunately.

This is the pigtail for that reverse light connector. You might be able to search around and find it cheaper (and perhaps on amazon) as it's likely a Dorman connector or some other aftermarket part.

You need to ID the two reverse wires under the car. I'd sart by undoing that bundle and seeing how many wires are in there and what colors. It's a logical guess that 2 wires in that bundle are for reverse.

I will pull those apart and see what they are. I think there are only two wires but may even be three if I am seeing a red wire in there with the white and black and hopefully the reverse switch was never reconnected when the guy switched out the motor and transmission.

Last edited:

Ok so pulled apart that wire grouping and it is two wires, white-ish and black
There is a red wire that goes out one connection and into another on the harness
Safe to assume these other two wires are for reverse lights? Can I splice those into a reverse light harness that I’m seeing on cj pony or lmr and connect it to the reverse switch on the side of the transmission?

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpeg
    IMG_1405.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1404.jpeg
    IMG_1404.jpeg
    652.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1403.jpeg
    IMG_1403.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1402.jpeg
    IMG_1402.jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 15
Assuming those two wires are in fact the reverse light, you can test it by just twisting them together and turning the key to ON. the reverse lights should come on.

If thats the case then yes, you an just splice to that pigtail and connect.

I'm with you in making the assumption those two wires are for reverse, but I can't find any wiring diagrams to confirm.

Assuming those two wires are in fact the reverse light, you can test it by just twisting them together and turning the key to ON. the reverse lights should come on.

If thats the case then yes, you an just splice to that pigtail and connect.

I'm with you in making the assumption those two wires are for reverse, but I can't find any wiring diagrams to confirm.
Twisted the two wires together and sure enough the reverse light ( 1 out of the 2 at least )did come in when I turned the keys so that’s a good sign
Ordered the harness and the switch today so hopefully the other lights bulb is out and just needs to be replaced
That could be one more task off my checklist
After that it’s parking brake cables and probably replace drum brake kit at rear , change diff fluid
Thank you for your advice!

Reactions: 1 user