Reviving my 66, suggestions please

batmike08

Jan 3, 2009
Hello, everyone, i am new to the forums, and look forward to all the wisdom! I have a 66 coupe with a 347 Ford racing motor. about two years ago i was driving and i blew my tranny ( C4 auto; it was the original tranny from the car). I found out that the stall was set too high.
Its time to bring my car back to life. it has been sitting in my garage since then. Before i get the tranny rebuilt, what can i do to prepare my car to be road worthy again? Empty old fuel? Change all fluids? Spray carbs with carb cleaner? And, does anyone know if i can just get the c4 rebuilt to hold the 347? ( i think my torque converters gone too.)

thanks for all the help and advice.

• Sponsors (?)

Change the oil and filter then with the spark plugs removed, take a quart of auto trans fluid, pour the whole thing into all eight cylinders, then crank the motor with the starter with the plugs removed. It's gonna be messy. But once all the excess ATF is pumped out, pop in fresh spark plugs, prime the carbs (you DID say CARBS didn't you?:nice:) And fire it off. This way both the bottom end and top end will be well lubed before you light her off.

Whenever I store an engine or start one up that hasn't been in a while, I use fogging oil and spray it abundantly in each cylinder. It will lubricate the cylinder walls, help create a mist that will ignite, and is relatively easy and neat. Add'l, if your car is carbed, put a few drops down in the carb to help engine start more quickly.

A higher stall converter won't cause a tranny to blow up. They do create more heat IF you are putting it under a load a lot, (pullong hills, power braking, etc.), but under normal driving conditions, they don't cause trannys to blow up.

Make sure your tranny cooler is clean & not obstructed, or simply install a larger after market cooler in line, (or in replacement of), with your existing radiator's cooler so you don't end up with that same problem again.

Also, MAKE SURE you flush out your tranny cooler & lines or the debris that the tranny made when it let-go will still be in there and will end-up in your newly rebuilt tranny and cause it to have problems too.

Sounds to me like your tranny was original and would have probably let-go sooner or later anyway, simply because it was old or because of the loads the new engine put on it.

C4's are plenty strong in most situations. 99% of the time, you'll break the tires loose before you can put enough load through the tranny to break it. You "can" build a C4 to handle 1,000+ HP, but it gets VERY costly. We have a twin blown, twin nitroused 66 Fastback that dynos at just over 700HP (without the nitrous) that has a C4. It ain't a drag car but it runs 10.90's @ 127 MPH (again, without the nitrous) on standard 15" street tires. It launches like a slug simply because it ain't set up for drag racing, but it has a VERY built C4 with a 3,500 stall converter that has been in it for years. If you want to see it and see a video if it running a low 11 quarter mile time with a horrible 2.7 second 60 foot time, click on our web site link below and look in our Ford gallery.

If you have a healthy cam in that engine, you WILL need a higher stall converter if you want it to perform well or not bog like a turd of the line. Don't let anyone tell you that your converter's stall blew up your tranny. If it "cooked" because of too much heat, (which I would find hard to believe unless you had a 4,500 stall or above in it), then that might be a different story, but ANY time you install a higher stall converter (2,800- 3,000 RPM and above), you should use some sort of additional tranny cooler.

Hope that helped :)