Reworked Heads A Few Yrs Old, Questions And Other Engine Build Questions

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
just wanting to know some things for my knowledge looking ahead forward. My heads are currently in the shop now and I'm just wondering say it its a few yrs down the road and my bottom end gets tired and needs a freshen up which at that time I will rebuild to possibly a 331, will heads that were just worked a few yrs prior and maybe less than 20k on them still need to be checked or is it just best to have them checked anyway? What will they check (valve and spring pressure, ect?) What would be an estimate cost for that?

I'm not sure what engine I want to go to next but I am very sure I will know when I go to mustang week this yr. I will be asking some guys questions and possibly wana drive and feel a 331 with a few different setups, with and without and SC and see how I like and would desire either setup. It will let me know rather I wana even do that or just do a 306 with or without an SC. I am not convinced at 182k my bottom end is tired as I have had several people look at the block, and also images and so I am going to go ahead and get the heads back and cam back and slap her back together. One thing I have gained through the whole experience so far is knowledge and more knowledge as well as the confidence in knowing I can take everything apart aside from the block and tranny which I never have done that but I'm sure I will be able to at that time.

So basically I will have money tied up in getting that spring fixed ( changing all of them, and replacing that valve. Also the head and intake gaskets so really I'm not loosing out as far as people saying well man you are that far you might as well rebuild now. I mean I hear that and sure it would be smart to do it now but being undecided on what I wana do and also not being convinced it is shot I feel this way it will give me time to really decide what I want to do down the road and have my plan together of what I ultimately wana end up with down the road. That's why I'm just asking these questions now and sure I understand as well if I go with a 331 and wana get the heads ported and stuff then what i'm doing now will have been wasted but then again the heads have to be fixed NOW and my mind isnt made up so i guess I will have to suffer that lost if i dont sell the heads and get another set. But that's where I am at right now. I will take a chance on spending about 4-450 for things I NEED right now either way and just put back together and if later on I still need to rebuild I wouldnt have wasted much money or any at all but rather helped my confidence and gave me some time going forward. Also saving me tons of labor money putting things back together myself

• Sponsors (?)

you can do a cursory inspection of the heads to make sure the valves are still sealing properly, and you can check the springs to make sure they are still in their proper range. and if these check out, then there is no reason to do anything else with the heads.

you can do a cursory inspection of the heads to make sure the valves are still sealing properly, and you can check the springs to make sure they are still in their proper range. and if these check out, then there is no reason to do anything else with the heads.
good deal

those would need to be inspected by the guy at the machine shop though right? Or at least the spring pressure?

not really. to check the valves for sealing, you can fill the ports with water and let them sit for an hour or so, that will tell you if there is any seepage. for the valve springs, you can get a tool that will measure the spring pressure on the head so you dont have to remove the springs. check with your local tool vendor.

not really. to check the valves for sealing, you can fill the ports with water and let them sit for an hour or so, that will tell you if there is any seepage. for the valve springs, you can get a tool that will measure the spring pressure on the head so you dont have to remove the springs. check with your local tool vendor.
cool