Richmond Excel 3:55 Gear Install Questions

00Blue-Convert

Mar 21, 2010
Hello All,

I am Installing Richmond Excel 3:55 gears in my 2000 Gt Mustang

Right now I am figuring out a good number for shims to start the process of finding pinion depth..

So I measured the old pinion plus the old shim and got 1.869", Then Subtracted it from the new pinion (1.789") To get a difference of .107".. Which is pretty big.

Any tips as the Ford rebuild kit only has .050" worth of shims

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stang Net. Wow, doing the ring and pinion upgrade is not for the faint of heart. It's a precise assembly. Personally I'd do a lot of different maintenance and upgrades, but I'd never attempt to do a R&P change. In addition, why are you going with just a 3.55? Most people go with, at least, a 3.73...4.10 seems to be the norm, but 4.30s or even 4.56 isn't out of the question, especially with these mod motors that don't make much torque.
So, sorry, I am not really answering your question, but nonetheless I did want to welcome you and wish you the best of luck.

Wow, you have an automatic? Further argument for 4.10's (or more). Anyway, best of luck - I certainly don't want to come across the wrong way here - this is your car, your choice, your decision. Quite honestly I wish I had the balls to swap out my gears myself. The gearset itself is not that expensive, but the labor cost at least doubles the total bill.

lol, well its not my car, its actually my gf's. I didn't pick out the parts, her dad did and I'm doing the work. I don't drive autos lol, only Manuals for me.

The gear swap is basically common tools + press, dial caliper, magnetic base and some math. I am still learning on the math and setting it up. But if you can turn a wrench its do-able

Plus if you get Ford Racing Gears, 99% of the time you can re-use the shim from the old gear set and your on the money

I am not sure why we didn't install a 3:73, I didn't make the decision, But I think it may have been because it is an automatic (idk)

I'm sorry to say it, but you should have posted here before. This is what you should do: STOP and buy some 4.10s. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

3.55s are a completely crap gear for a naturally aspirated auto. Is it supercharged? If not 4.10s are the ideal gear for the auto. I've had them for 8 years. A lot of auto guys are happy with 4.30s!!!!!!!!

If I had 3.73s i would have dumped them by now. Going from 3.27 to 3.55 isnt worth doing.

Thanks for the opinions

Anyways

-Ok, So 4.415-2.628 (number on the pinion) = 1.787

So when I measure the pinion head, I get 1.789. So try a shim of .003? or what would you try?

Ok,I am not understanding the math above but I have done several stang rearends without any problems. now, what I do is measure the old pinion head & the new pinion head. for instance, if the old head is 3.325" & the new head is 3.315", I would reuse the old shims & add a .010 shim to it to make up the difference. doing rear ends are not as hard to do as most make them out to be. glad to see you are tackling it yourself.:flag:
& IMO I would put at least 4.10's in there. if 3.27's are what was in there, your GF would never know you changed them if you didn't tell her. now if you are planning on some major power mods like a supercharger or stroking it then stick with the 3.55's.
I had 3.90's in mine & switched back to 3.27's a couple months ago. with all the extra power,my car accelerates faster than it did before because I am staying in the powerband longer & can go faster in every gear which means less shifting for me. with the 3.90's 2nd topped out at 50mph @ 6k rpm's. with the the 3.27's 2nd tops out at 65mph. rearend gearing really depends on your power & your driving habits. I didn't like the 3.90's on the hwy. I got 22mpg's hwy with them but I get 27-29hwy with the 3.27's.... just a few thought to consider. good luck with the stang:nice:

Thanks

Ok, So 4.415-2.628 (number on the pinion) = 1.787

So when I measure the pinion head, I get 1.789. So try a shim of .003? or what would you try?

You really should have gotten some frpp gears....makes everything alot easier! Once you do the r&p swap once you will remember how to do it forever....Just remember the total amount of carrier shimming in the car is what has to go back it . (its just re-arranged to accomodiate for backlash) As far as pinion shims go....i have ALWAYS gotten away with using the factory shim off the factory gears but thats IF you replace the gears with FRPP.