Right Front Strange Sound

I got a daily driver 1967 mustang im just starting to work on. Its in pretty sound shape so i've been using it for a daily driver lately. However today on my way into work the right front of the car (I suspect in the wheel area) is making a fairly audible clunk/chunk sound. Also when over say 40 miles an hour it will suddenly pull slightly left or right. Now I have my suspicions but I want a 2nd 3rd or even 4th opinion before I start rippin the front end apart. Thanks in advance guys. Ive been lurking this forum for awhile.

• Sponsors (?)

Perhaps you have a ball joint failure or your end links are worn out and the sound you are hearing is the wheel hitting the fender lip. Or..the shock is done and you are bottoming out and hitting the stop bumper. What is the condition of the suspension parts? Unless there is a glaring problem, I would bet that it is the suspension as a whole that needs some attention. I hope you get it worked out, I wish I could drive mine as a daily driver.

Willing to bet it will be obvious once you get under there. Agree with Falcon. Either the ball joint or sway bar end link is most likely your problem. The clunk could be caused by a broken spring, even if just the last coil broke, but probably wouldn't cause the car to jerk to the side. Is it making the sound at every bump, or only when you hit 40mph?

Reactions: 1 user
i would jack up the front end ,rock the tire front to back and top to botom
while watching the ball joints and tie rod ends and idler arm .you do not want to have a failure at any kind of speed. had a 69 CJ break an outer spindle right behind the nut at 50 mph. the only thing that kept the tire on the car was the disk inside the calliper.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad you figured it out. I went to replace my ball joints and when I actually looked, I ended up replacing all the ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, shocks, and end links. On these cars, fix one thing and find two more broken. haha. If you had to replace the spring, I'd go ahead and do the other one too. Even if it doesn't break, you don't want to have one 45 year old spring and one brand new one. Stance would look strange too.